cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I set up Cisco home lab with 2620 router & 3500XL switch?

jfranklin2
Level 1
Level 1

i have a cisco 2620 router and a catalyst 3500XL switch I want to configure for home lab.  how do I interface 3500XL GBIC module to 2620 or can i use a different inteface module in the 3500XL?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jfranklin2 wrote:

i have a cisco 2620 router and a catalyst 3500XL switch I want to configure for home lab.  how do I interface 3500XL GBIC module to 2620 or can i use a different inteface module in the 3500XL?

Depends on the switch bought, but if they have rj45 ports just use one of those and connect that to the router with a straight through cable. You don't have to use the GBIC port to connect to other devices if the other device will not accept GBICs.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jfranklin2 wrote:

Depends on the switch bought, but if they have rj45 ports just use one of those and connect that to the router with a straight through cable. You don't have to use the GBIC port to connect to other devices if the other device will not accept GBICs.

Jon

Jon thanks a lot.  I'm new to networking but I'm excited about putting the lab together and getting smart.  Appreciate your help!

Johnny

Just out of curiosity do you know what modules for the 2620 are fiber compatible?

Johnny

From recollection i'm not sure the 2620 supports any GBIC modules although i could be wrong.

Have fun with your lab !

Jon

Hey thanks again Jon...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: