Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones showing engaged when trying to transfer call

mahesh101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Our client has 8 SPA504G Phones connected to 2 SR300-28G which is connected to the UC540 (Version 8.1) Via the expansion port. The problem the client is having is that sometimes the users are unable to transfer phone calls between the phones (the phones are showing as engaged (tone) when trying to transfer), the problem has occurred several times and the only way to solve this was to restart everything (switch, UC, phones) and sometimes connect it back to the UC physically so it gets the configuration and then take it back to where it should be.

Are there any patches that solves this problem? Or any suggestions why this is happening?
Regards
Mahesh
15 Replies 15

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We dont have any problems knwon of this nature, but if you search this community you will see that in several cases, this bahavior can result in the phones not getting IPs on the correct Voice VLAN DHCP scope and pool (from the UC540).

While the SG300 is a kick butt switch that received rave reviews fron Tolly reports (crushed competitors), that fact is they dont yet have the FW which supports smart ports or CDP.   So its not plug and play.   One of the really smart guys who writes "Smart Designs"  wrote this Application note for exactly this occasion when our partners run ahead of us a little bit :-)  And I think you for using Cisco.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/smb/tools_and_resources/smart_business_comm_system.html

Check that out.   Set it up correcly, and your problems will go away.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you referring to these switches?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10898/prod_models_comparison.html

So these are not designed then to work with the UC-500 as such due to them not supporting CDP? Or do the switches shown above support CDP or will support CDP in an upcoming firmware release?

So to configure these I would imagine you would then need to tag the ports with the respective VLAN's and if they are access or trunk ports then?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

CDP plus a few other features that will make the switches much better suited for voice deployments are part of the 1.1 firmware release due out very soon.  CCA support for the 300 series is also in the works, and once that is there, the install experience should be at least as good as you get with the ESW switches.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

CDP plus a few other features that will make the switches much better 
suited for voice deployments are part of the 1.1 firmware release due 
out very soon.  CCA support for the 300 series is also in the works, and
 once that is there, the install experience should be at least as good 
as you get with the ESW switches.

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!

These switches when compared to others compete on a pound for pound blow, price and quality too boot

I am looking at using these for the UC-320W as they seem like an ideal match, would this be a suitable environment for it?

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi Dave

I noticed the PM stated in the support  community that the 1.1 software for the 300 is coming out in May.  I am in fact using the 300 series switches on the UC320 at the moment.

I posed the following https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15758  to get it easily configured today.

That posting should be redundant when version 1.1 of the code comes out.

regards Dave

Hi Stephen

I have configured all the phones on Static IP so they do not need to route themselves to get one. can this also be the issue

Mahesh

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Mahesh,

I just found THIS whilst on the hunt for more info and figured it would be useful to you as well.

Cheers,

David.

Hi David

Does this mean I will have to wait until July to configure the Switched Properly or Will I be able to use CCA 3.0 (1) to configure the switch after the firmware update in May

Thanks

Mahesh

CCA support for these switches will not be until release 3.1 which as you say is around the middle of the year.  However, the actualy configuration requirements to get the switch working with a UC500/UC300 when you have the 1.1 firmware are pretty minimal, and of course you can always continue to use the switch web GUI for the interim few weeks.  That will not be going away at all.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi David

If I update the Firmware on the Switch will I have to reconfigure the switch, or will I be able to restore the configuration if I backed it up.

Thanks

Mahesh

The configuration is retained through the upgrade, so there should be no need to backup and restore.  Obviously backing up befor

e an upgrade is good practice, but I haven't ever needed to restore a backup after an upgrade, and don't really expect I will need to in the future.

Cheers,

Dave.

And I'd also like to say that there are way too many David's on this thread...

OK OK I am going to go back into my sandbox.... 

mahesh101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I went to the Site and saw Call Forwarding was activated, for some reason call forwarding is being set automatically, is there anyway to disble call fowarding so it can't be activated.

Thanks

Mahesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: