cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

h323-gateway voip interface

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

I've read Cisco IOS command reference, but I'm still not sure about the purpose of "h323-gateway voip interface" command.

Moreover, I was trying to understand the difference between "h323-gateway voip interface" and "h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr".

Here's my config on the gateway router:

interface Fa0/0

ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0
  h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr 192.168.1.254

interface loopback0

ip address 10.1.1.254 255.255.255.0

h323-gateway voip interface
  h323-gateway voip id GK ipaddr 10.2.2.254
  h323-gateway voip h323-id CUCME
  h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 408

From my understanding, the "h323-gateway voip interface" command should dictate the source address that being used to communicate with gatekeeper.  i.e. it should be 10.1.1.254 (loopback0)

However, when I do a "show gatekeeper endpoint" command on the gatekeeper router, it's showing the RAS address as 192.168.1.1.254 (Fa0/0).  How can I make the gateway router to use loopback0 communicate with GK, while using the Fa0/0 interface communicate with other H323 peers (such as CUCM)?

GK#show gatekeeper endpoint
                    GATEKEEPER ENDPOINT REGISTRATION
                    ================================
CallSignalAddr  Port  RASSignalAddr   Port  Zone Name         Type    Flags
--------------- ----- --------------- ----- ---------         ----    -----
192.168.1.254  1720  192.168.1.254  60745 GK                VOIP-GW
    H323-ID: CUCME
    Voice Capacity Max.=  Avail.=  Current.= 0
Total number of active registrations = 1

P.S.

• IOS image being used is c3825-adventerprisek9_ivs-mz.124-24.T4.bin
  • I also tried making the gateway router a "H323-GW" instead of "VOIP-GW" by adding "allow h323 to h323" command.  Same behavior.

Thanks!

Michael

18 Replies 18

Hello,

As i am sure you know , if you want this to happen , the loopback interface must have access to the GK IP ??

delete this command from the interface f0/0

h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr 192.168.1.254

and add this to the loopback :

h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr 10.1.1.254

Also add the h323-gateway voip interface on the interface f0/0 and give it a shot.

Amer

Hi Amer,

Thank you for your reply.

1) Could you further explain what's the purpose of "h323-gateway voip interface"?

2) How is "h323-gateway voip interface" different with "h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr"?

3) If we have "h323-gateway voip interface" configured under multiple interfaces, what's the effect of that? (I guess this one is part of question 1 above).

Thanks!

Michael

Hello,

h323-gateway voip  interface Tells the router that this interface should be enabled for  H.323 packet processing.

h323-gateway voip id Identifies the ID of the gatekeeper.

h323-gateway voip  h323-id Configures the ID of this router. When the router registers with  the gatekeeper, the gatekeeper recognizes the gateway by this  ID.

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix  1# Registers a technology prefix

h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr  10.52.218.48 Sets the source address of H.323 packets

Amer

Hi Amer,

Sorry for stupid questions.

You said:

h323-gateway voip  interface Tells the router that this interface should be enabled for  H.323 packet processing.

h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr 10.52.218.48 Sets the source address of H.323 packets

Why we need two separate command to enable the interface and set the source address?  The only reason I can think about is to have these two command in two different places (interfaces)

This doesn't make sense to me.  For example, you enable the H.323 packet processing on interface A but want the source address to be interface B?  Why you want to do that?

If you should use these two command in the same interface, why we need two separate command?

Thanks!

Michael

Hello Michael,

It's not a stupid question , it's great question and i don't have the answer for it , i never thought about it before.

But from where i know , these two must be configured on the interface , even if you want to communicate with CUCM to let the gateway be a H.323 gateway.

One of my collegues once told me that he tried to do the config without the h.323-gateway voip interface and it worked , honestly i never tried it.

Amer

I'm curious about this as well.  Never needed the h323-gateway voip interface command to register my h323 gateways to Call Manager, only needed the h323-gateway source address command.  Not sure if the h323-gateway voip interface is only required for gatekeeper registrations..

From my understanding, the "h323-gateway voip interface" is only required when registering with GateKeeper.

You cannot configure H323-ID and ID without this command.

Michael

Hello Micheal,

Yes, you are right , the ID is tight to the voice interface but as of signaling it is not required , i test it on my lab for H.323 gateway for CUCM , it's working without the voip interface , it is only needed to communicate with gatekeeper.

Amer

I Still have doubt what if i have two CME's connected directly. i have bind loopback interface on both CME's but i can make call from site only but not from other side.

Facing One Way Voice Issues.

How does h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr works?why we get One Way Voice Issues?

How Does RTP works?

In my scenario on both cme routers i have bind loopback interface (Hq 2.2.2.2 nad Br 3.3.3.3). but in Hq site in dial peers i have taken session target ipv4:(ip address of serial interface) and in other site i have taken the bind loopback of hq i.e 2.2.2.2.

i am able to call one site but not from other. and why on both sites in dial peers we have  to take take bind loopback ip address.

Please clear my concept.

You must specify h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr command under desired interface else depends on call scenario, signaling and media may source from different interface and you may end up with one way speech issue.

Very old bug related to problem you are facing CSCdw69681.

If 2.2.2.2 is the loopback address of HQ and 3.3.3.3 is the loopback address of BR router, then you should have following configuration;

In HQ router;
              interface loopback 0
                h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr 2.2.2.2

In BR router;
              interface loopback 0
                h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr 3.3.3.3

HQ CME should have session target command pointed to 3.3.3.3 whereas BR CME should have session target command pointed to 2.2.2.2. 

Hi;

h323-gateway voip interface    >> GW to gatekeepr communication.

- It is used to source RAS packets when communicating with a gatekeeper

h323-gateway bind srcaddr x.x.x.x >> GW to GW (CUCM) communication.

- It is not needed when you confgure the gateway to communicate only with a gatekeeper.

- It is used to source H.225 packets from the gateway.

- It is the same IP address defined when you add a gateway to a CUCM.

- CUCM does not repspond to undefined H225 packets

Thank you,

Ahmed

Amer

Its perfect ! Informative.. 5!

Thanks.

One site is running CME itself. sO it has already one h323 interface. If i want to to connect that gateway with CUCM,i need to put one more h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr X.X.X.X command.

But i am gettting below error whenever i put h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr X.X.X.Xcommand under loopback interface.

"Bind IP Address configured. Please remove before reconfiguring"

you have this command under another interface

the Router tell you to remove it first that you can't source your h323 pkts with 2 different IP addresses using this command

this is the adv. of this command

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: