cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSTP interoperability with older 3548 XL Switches

ngthen
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up more ports at alternate location as a few floors in my building are unusable due to some environmental issues.  Currently this network is running multiple instance spanning tree.  So that I do not have the usual 50 second STP delay is there any thing that i can do on the older 3548 switches to acheive some level of compatibility?  Unfortunately I cannot take my other switches to the other location as equipment on various floors must stay up and running.  All I have left are the 3548 XLs

My config at the other location is as follows:

spanning-tree mst configuration
name colo-mstp
revision 1
instance 1 vlan 1, 5, 10-12, 15, 100, 253

Would I need to something with rapid spanning tree on these since they do not support MSTP?

1 Reply 1

IAN WHITMORE
Level 4
Level 4

MSTP is backwards compatible with RSTP & STP. Of course if a switches running MSTP on a link receives a BPDU of an older version like RSTP or STP then the MSTP switch reverts to that version on that link.

Heres a brief explanation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3550/software/release/12.1_13_ea1/configuration/guide/swmstp.pdf

HTH,

Ian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: