cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLC-GE-100FX= SFP in 2960S-24TS-L only running half-duplex

mrdorshimer
Level 1
Level 1

We run a 100 Mbit trunk over 62.5 MM fiber to a remote building. We replaced the building’s single switch.

Old:

2950C-24 switch with integrated 100BASE-FX optic using a MTRJ to SC fiber patch

New:

2960S-24TS-L and GLC-GE-100FX= SFP optic with LC to SC fiber patch

Since the install, the link will only connect at half-duplex 100 Meg. It will not link when forced to full duplex. The other end is a 6324-100FX-MM module in our 6509. No duplex mismatch issues prior to the new switch, optic and patch. We measured only 4-5 dBm loss at each end point with our fiber owl. To rule out the fiber path, I duplicated the problem with an identical 2960 switch and optic over a 2-meter LC/LC patch to the 6509. I also tried a 2-meter LC/LC patch between these optics in the same 2960 switch, again only half-duplex.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL632702.html

- suggests compatibility with the 2960S-24TS-L and the switch recognizes the SFP and appears to function normally other than the duplex issue.

Not sure why we seem to be stuck at half-duplex. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated, thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you tried to "no duplex" on each end and then reset each end to "duplex auto" or "duplex full"?  You might also try to remove/reinsert the transceiver at the 6500 end and see if this clears the problem.

Very odd situation.   

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have you tried to "no duplex" on each end and then reset each end to "duplex auto" or "duplex full"?  You might also try to remove/reinsert the transceiver at the 6500 end and see if this clears the problem.

Very odd situation.   

so far so good...

"no duplex" followed by "duplex full" has worked on my test bench, from a 2960 to 6509 and between a pair of 2960's. I will test in production shortly and report back.

Update:

That suggestion works in production. Have you seen something similar before? I don't think I've ever had to "no duplex" a port/optic before it would run at auto or full properly.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: