Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection ViewMail Password manual reset after LDAP change

Liz Bentler
Level 1
Level 1

Unity Connection 8.5.1, Viewmail 8.5.4 and Exchange 2010 with 2008 AD

We are migrating to Unity Connection from Unity 7.0.2 and have discovered that when we change our passwords in AD (scheduled every 40 days) this does not get synchronized with viewmail.  Users then receive an error indicating the user ID or password is incorrect and then call the helpdesk to find out where to change this setting.  Has anyone found a way around this.  It is becomking a huge issue with 1200+ employees. 

Hopefully it is on a roadmap for cisco as well?

Thanks

Liz

11 Replies 11

espereir
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Liz,

Unfortunately, there is no way to automatically change the user´s credentials under viewmail, and it doesn´t support NTLM. So my advise will be to create a documet with step-by-step instructions on how to manually change the password under viewmail so most of the users can help themselfs

HTH

--espereir

Anyone know if this is roadmapped, our account rep says it is but will not provide an ETA or any further info.  Coming from Unity with single inbox, thus far migrating over to Unity Connection single inbox and viewmail for Connection has been a giant step backwards in terms of end user experience.

Liz

Hi Liz,

You should request a PER (Product Enhancement Request) to your AM/SE, that way, the DEs will get the PER with a business case attached to it. Otherwise, I doubt that they will get the feedback.

In addition, you can email Jeff Lindborg which is part of the BU and mantains the ciscounitytools.com site, you can find his email address here:

http://ciscounitytools.com/Links.html

HTH

--espereir

Any update on this? this is a complete joke - you cant expect users to update their Viewmail p/w within Outlook every time their AD p/w changes!! We have unity 5 and connection 8.5 - we were in the process migrating users over to connection but not until this has been resolved!!

Cisco you really need to start thinking before you rollout new solutions...

Last I heard this fall they will support single sign on but only with cisco PCA the web client for voicemail.  Viewmail was still looking like some time spring/summer 2012.  Make sure you really read up on the changes with how messages are handled in Outlook and when they are accessible using viewmail.  It really is a different user experience.

Liz

'its really a different user experience' you are telling me!!!

I like the other features that 8.5 brings but the outlook viewmail single sign on design fault is a big mistake. It even effects cupc client as you have to  update the voicemail password in their...

I did read all the documentation carefully, it doesnt mention that the passwords do no sync. From a end user point of view, this is a disator. 95% of our users manage the voicemail through outlook, if the password doesnt update in viewmail then they can not retrieve their voicemail.

anyway, i ve spent alot of time and money building the new connection server, but i have no option but to stick to our unity 5 solution. Luckily i noticed this before i changed/migrated people groupwide.

Thanks a million Cisco, I now have to explain this to our IT director....

Hi Steven,

One of my customers wants to upgrade their Exchange/Outlook to 2010 as well as Windows 7 on the workstations (900+ users). We are running Unity 7.0 with VMO 7.0 on Outlook 2003 at this time and it works very well.

To support Outlook 2010 we have to upgrade at least to VMO 8.5 but what I understand is that this version does not support DCOM anymore and the users will have to manually change their passwords in VMO each time they will setup a new one in the AD (forced by sec policy). Exactly like they already do each month in CUPC 8.5!

How did you manage that with the customer?

How to defend Cisco against MS ExchangeUM and Lync with such a feature lack?

boris.kudr
Level 1
Level 1

The single sign-on for ViewMail is supported now:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/vmo/release/notes/865cucvmorn.html#wp361237

_____ Please rate helpful posts Пожалуйста оценивайте полезные сообщения

Hi,

Having the same problem.  During initial testing we decided to back track from a Unity UM 7.X to CUC 8.6 migration because of the lack of password sync in the new VMO.

We can't ask all our users to start manually syncing their VMO password to their AD password every 60 days.

VMO experience is perfect with our old DCOM based VMO, and it seems awkward to diminish user experience when migrating to a newer platform like CUC.

Did anyone get feedback from Cisco insiders on this matter ?

TAC pointed me toward SSO, but I feel implementing and maintaining SSO just for VMO passwords is like killing a fly with a bazooka.

Thanks,

Eric

Cisco advertizes SSO with Viewmail 8.6(6) now and it kind of works as long as you don't have any capital letters in your user IDs.  If you do then you need to wait for 8.7 due out by December of this year.  Painful....

Had training with the developers of VMO 8.6(7) this am.  It should be released within a week.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: