Helpful
Replies

Assigning IP Address to VLAN Web GUI

invulnarable27
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

I am working with this particular switch from Cisco: SG300-52

It  functions only from a web gui, no cli available which has made configurations  cumbersome. Under "VLAN Management" I don't see a tab for assigning an  IP Address to a VLAN.

This is my intended goal via the web gui:

Switch(config)#interface Vlan2
Switch(config-if)#ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

Your switch runs in Layer 2 mode by default.  If you want to put ip addresses on the vlans, you need to change the switch mode from Layer 2 mode to Layer 3 mode.  You can ONLY do this in the console menu (not the web GUI).  It does indeed exist, you must access it using a baud rate of 115,200 (not the standard 9600 that we all know and love ), data bits = 8, parity = none, stop bits = 1, flow control = None.  It is also available via telnet (default username/password is cisco/cisco, though I'm certain you've already changed this).  Go to Switch Main Menu --> System Mode. 

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:  So that you know ahead of time, switching between Layer 2 & Layer 3 modes will clear all other configurations that you have in place, so plan accordingly.

You should be able to address the vlans after you've made this change.

Please rate this post if it helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

Your switch runs in Layer 2 mode by default.  If you want to put ip addresses on the vlans, you need to change the switch mode from Layer 2 mode to Layer 3 mode.  You can ONLY do this in the console menu (not the web GUI).  It does indeed exist, you must access it using a baud rate of 115,200 (not the standard 9600 that we all know and love ), data bits = 8, parity = none, stop bits = 1, flow control = None.  It is also available via telnet (default username/password is cisco/cisco, though I'm certain you've already changed this).  Go to Switch Main Menu --> System Mode. 

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:  So that you know ahead of time, switching between Layer 2 & Layer 3 modes will clear all other configurations that you have in place, so plan accordingly.

You should be able to address the vlans after you've made this change.

Please rate this post if it helps.

Hi Antonio,

Man you are a lifesaver! This really helped point me in the right direction. I was operating in Layer 2 mode the entire time. Now that I know it has to be in layer 3 mode, it makes searching the administrative pdf a breeze.

Thanks again,

-William

No problem, man.  Happy Networking

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: