cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

JAVA memory heap size and ASDM or IDM

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

When I try to load ASDM or IDM with either IE or Firefox, I receive the following error

ERROR: Current JAVA memory heap size is less than 256MB.

You must increase memory size before running IDM.

Click on help for more information.

Instruction provided by Cisco refer to JAVA 1.4.2 and 1.5

We run Java verison 6 and the instructions - although similar - do not work for JAVA version 6.

I did enter the  -Xmx256m in the Java Runtime Parameters field but it still failed.

I also rebooted the PC just for fun.

My exact JAVA version:

JAVA 6 update 18 build 1.6.0_18-b07

Any help would be wonderful!!!!

Tks

Frank

New document  https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16442 is created from this discussion. Thanks Message was edited by: Ankur Thukral

27 Replies 27

RAMACHANDRA R
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Please do check your Operating System like 32bit or 64bit, please download the JRE based on your operating system and it should fix your problem immediately, please refer the below link for downloading latest compataible JRE for your OS.

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jre-6u18-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

Rgds

Rama

Tks

I removed JAVA 6 from my MS XP OS and installed JAVA 5. This JAVA down grade fixed my IPS management issue but now security folks have issues with my old outdated JAVA version. Win some, lose some.

Frank

I have te same problem. I dont want to downsize to java 5'. is ther a solution for this problem.

regards Aad Moerman

The only way I could get this thing to operate was to downgrade to JAVA 5.

If there is another way, no one is talking.

Good luck

Frank

What versions of IE/Firefox/ASDM are you using?

ASDM 6.2(3)

IE 8.0.6001.18828

If you didn't already, try setting it under both the user and system runtime properties...

You could also try setting it to 512, or try setting the initial heap size to 256.

java -Xms -Xmx

yep this really sucks ... and you know what? it's not the first time I've had this issue ... now that Ellison owns Sun, let fun really begin!

Downgraded from SE 6 update 19 to JRE SE 6 update 7 and it works now.  Finding SE 6 update 7 wasn't easy.  To to save anyone else this grief:

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/

charg_in1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

Try modifying the shortcut that launches ASDM. I found mine runs javaw but sets the min mem to 64 and max to 256. I changed these to min 256 and max 512 and that fixed the issue. Im running the latest Java.

Rgds,

DJ

Hi,

Job well done Devistating Dave....it works!

Thanks

Daniel

DJ,

Thank You, that was the solution.

Regards,

Aad

..............There's not a problem or issue Devisating Dave (DJ) can't fix! 

Hi DJ,

I am having same issue, could you please post the full target path or IDM shortcut?

Thanks in advance

Regards,

ST

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms256m -Xmx512m -Dsun.swing.enableImprovedDragGesture=true -classpath lzma.jar;jploader.jar;asdm-launcher.jar;retroweaver-rt-2.0.jar com.cisco.launcher.Launcher

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: