Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client and Windows 7 - Window won't show

Bizarre issue I've now experienced on two separate PC's with VPN Client 5.00.07.0410 on 32-bit Windows 7:

Out of the blue, when the user double-clicks the Cisco VPN Client icon, the lock shows up in the system tray, and the application shows in the taskbar. You may get a glimpse of the window when you double-click the taskbar icon, or single click it and choose the application from the list. However, you are not able to actually get the window to be visible. This of course makes it impossible for the user to click the "connect" button.

I've discovered that when the icon is in the taskbar, and you hit "Enter" on the keyboard, it will connect. However I wouldn't expect a user to be able to figure this out, and so it was quite frustrating for them when this happened.

I've noticed there is a new version of the software for 64-bit users, but not for 32.

Anybody else experience this? Find a solution?

I tried uninstalling/re-installing and it made no difference.

-Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This may be similar to an issue we experienced with VPN client 5.0.07.0290 where the window was actually off screen. Here was our resolution:

For Windows 7:

• 1.       Hold the Alt key, press Tab key until the VPN Client window is highlighted. Release Alt.
  • 2.       Hold the Windows key and press the right arrow key once. This should bring the window back on screen.

If that doesn’t work or the user has XP, try this:

• 1.     Alt-tab to the Cisco window
  • 2.     Press Alt+Space.
  • 3.     Press M.
  • 4.     Press any Arrow key.
  • 5.     Move the mouse. The window position should now follow the mouse cursor.

View solution in original post

29 Replies 29

Nobody else has experienced this?

Nobody?  I have now had this problem on a 3rd machine. It cannot possibly be that rare.....

This may be similar to an issue we experienced with VPN client 5.0.07.0290 where the window was actually off screen. Here was our resolution:

For Windows 7:

• 1.       Hold the Alt key, press Tab key until the VPN Client window is highlighted. Release Alt.
  • 2.       Hold the Windows key and press the right arrow key once. This should bring the window back on screen.

If that doesn’t work or the user has XP, try this:

• 1.     Alt-tab to the Cisco window
  • 2.     Press Alt+Space.
  • 3.     Press M.
  • 4.     Press any Arrow key.
  • 5.     Move the mouse. The window position should now follow the mouse cursor.

Thanks Alex, I will give this a whirl and post back!

-Chris

Alex:

That worked perfectly! thank you so much.

Is Cisco aware of this issue?

I had same problem here. Solution works perfectly! Thanks a lot.

I've just had the same problem running version 5.0.07.0290 on Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. The solution provided above worked - thank you!

Same here ... need to add this to my list of stupid Microsoft Windows problems. I like my Mac even more today.

Hello,

I have to do above steps each time, when I open up vpn client. Is there anyway to fixed this permanenetly?

Thanks

Hetal Soni

Try this so you don't have to do it each time... it worked for XP Pro 32-bit (Dell E6410). Haven't yet encountered on W7 Pro:

Bring up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt_Delete). Open the Applications tab. Highlight VPN Client, right-click and select Maximize. (Sometimes if the system dies (power-loss) when connected to VPN the registry remembers the minimized setting and will not un-minimize it except with this process (and maybe one yet to be determined).)

I'm currently working (20140617) on a similar issue for W7 Pro for the User Authentication window where the RSA passcode needs to be entered. Alt-Tab works but I'm trying to make it permanent. (One problem is the user has a difficult time following instructions.)

It worked for me in Windows 7 x32!!!

"Bring up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt_Delete). Open the Applications tab. Highlight VPN Client, right-click and select Maximize. (Sometimes if the system dies (power-loss) when connected to VPN the registry remembers the minimized setting and will not un-minimize it except with this process (and maybe one yet to be determined).) - See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11186511/vpn-client-and-windows-7-window-wont-show#sthash.I6d7QiBe.dpuf"

Thanks!

This works...

A faster way to get to Task Manager is Ctrl+Shift+Esc (escape). It's somewhat hard to reach those keys unless you use the keybord right-side shift and control.

That was exactly my issue! Thanks akirchwey!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: