cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static IP on a VPN client...

dave.cordova
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question. I have a client that VPN into our network. When he logs in he is assigned an ip address out of the VPN POOL. Is there a way to assign a static IP to his VPN client so when he logins into the VPN his static IP will work. There is an IP address in the VPN POOL that I want to assign him. I don’t want to make a special VPN. Thanks.

dave

6 Replies 6

Dennis Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dave,

As a matter of fact what you are trying to achieve is possible

Please follow this guide, which include a configuration sample using either ASDM or CLI:

My problem is that I have over 100 users that may need static IP address and it looks like i'll have to add each user in the local user area and assign them a static ip. I didn't know if there was  a way to have the enduser computer to have a static IP and when they connect to the VPN Pool it would know in the IP Pool in the ASDM not to use the static IP that was assign. Hope this makes sense. THanks.

Dave,

Actually I did not understand your last statement:

.." I didn't know if there was  a way to have the enduser computer to have a static IP and when they connect to the VPN Pool it would know in the IP Pool in the ASDM not to use the static IP that was assign.."

If you want the ASA to assign static IP address and the authentication is local this is the only way to do it....if you use an ACS to authenticate the users I believe there is a way to inject the IP address by using RADIUS.

DL.

Sorry about that. I had people talking to me as I was typing.

I have around 100 users with laptops. Currently they VPN and is assigned an IP address in the address pool. Instead of making 100 local users and assign them a static IP in the ASDM, is there a way on the VPN client to assign an static IP address and still keep the address pool?

Sure,

Actually with the configuration sample I sent you, only the users you configure with the parameter "vpn-framed-ip-address" will use that static IP address...the rest of them shoud use the other IPs from the assigned pool to the VPN tunnel group.

HIH.

okay, i'll give it a shot. thanks for all of your help.

dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: