cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between Optical Transmit and Receive Power?

MaseBarnes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm running fine with a 3750X Stack, 3 TE plugged in and multiple GB's.

Now I'm following errors in my logs:

May 11 13:16:43 MET-1DS: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/1/2: Rx power high warning; Operating value:  -0.5 dBm, Threshold value:  -0.9 dBm.

May 11 13:25:39 MET-1DS: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te2/1/1: Rx power high warning; Operating value:   0.0 dBm, Threshold value:  -0.9 dBm.

May 11 13:26:43 MET-1DS: %SFF8472-5-THRESHOLD_VIOLATION: Te1/1/2: Rx power high warning; Operating value:  -0.4 dBm, Threshold value:  -0.9 dBm.

The port Te1/1/1 is clean. A "sh int te1/1/2 trans detail" shows a high value for "Optical Receive Power". Also te2/1/1 shows high value for Receive Power.

Is this an indicator for the remote module or cable?

IMHO transmit power would be a broken module in the switch, but receive power should be the module in the host or cable, correct?

Thanks

MB

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your distant end is transmitting at a level which, when combined with the actual loss over the transmission media cables(s) and patch panels(s), exceeds the input specifications of the transceivers in your stack.

If you can check the details on the transmitting end and compare them to specification that will tell you whether it is the culprit. If it is operating within specification, you can insert an optical attenuator at one end or the other to drop the light levels by a couple of dB.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I'll ask my customer for the specs of their SFP's!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: