Views
Helpful
Replies

H-Reap client ip address from wlc before local switching

richard.dimond
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2112 wlc with 1130 LWAP's.

I wish to use the wlc's internal dhcp server to give out ip addresses from the pool to both local clients and h-reap clients.

Once the ip address has been assigned I want the h-reap clients to switch locally to their own vlan where they will be routed to the relevant router.

Can the local switching to obtain DHCP address be circumvented ?

Thanks in advance.

Richard

5 Replies 5

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

Lets take the DHCP element out of the picture for a second, are you asking for the following:

Can an HREAP AP Centrally switch traffic to the WLC and then if it goes Standalone the traffic is locally switched?

As far as I know, the answer is no, and I'm not sure if its on the roadmap...

Would be an interesting feature request though...

No - that is not the question.

The important part is the client obtaining a DHCP address from the wlc before switching to the local vlan.

Richard

I guess I don't follow you then....

Please elaborate on what you mean by "before switching to the local vlan."

You are either asking to have a Centrally switched client become locally switched when HREAP goes Standalone (which you say you are not asking)

Or you are asking to have a Locally switched client get DHCP from the WLC, and then get DHCP from something else when in Standalone...

The latter though would still be locally switched, and the client would stay in the same vlan local to the HREAP regardless of being Connected or Standalone mode...    

Or do I still just have it all wrong?

Man appearently I just can't read today

"Once the ip address has been assigned I want the h-reap clients to switch locally to their own vlan where they will be routed to the relevant router."

So are you just asking for a locally switched client to get dhcp from the WLC?

As in, they are always in the vlan local to the AP, they just want DHCP pool from the WLC?   

I guess I fail to see the big picture here.

Anyone else want to chime in?

......>> So are you just asking for a locally switched client to get dhcp from the WLC?

Simply that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: