Views
Helpful
Replies

support cisco 4507R

csco11160042
Level 1
Level 1

Hi friends:

... first of them , sorry with my english....

I have two cisco 4507R , we use them like core switch, running to 1 gbps, booth of them are , like :

IOS:

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(46)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "bootflash:cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-46.SG.bin"

Modules:

cisco_4507R_1#show modu 
Chassis Type : WS-C4507R

Power consumed by backplane : 40 Watts

Mod Ports Card Type                                                  Model              Serial No.
---+-----+--------------------------------------+------------------+-----------
1     6       Sup II+10GE 10GE (X2), 1000BaseX (SFP)      WS-X4013+10GE    --SUPERVISOR

3    24       10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)                               WS-X4424-GB-RJ45   

5     6       SFP, 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)V,                     Cisco/I WS-X4506-GB-T     

6     6       SFP, 10/100/1000BaseT (RJ45)V,                     Cisco/I WS-X4506-GB-T  

We're usinf fiber OM1:   62.5/125um... , this permit transmit data up to 1 Gbps....  we use path cord SC-LC   ( DDF to SWITCH).

Nowadays, we want to increase the core ... first to 10 Gbps whit option to encrease to 40 and 100 Gbps..... the fiber-standard for that is OM4 .

Now .. questions:

1) The switch 4507R , support 10 Gbps ?, I need  10 ports with 10Gbps........   I have to change the supervisor? what model ? ...  I need to buy line cards to suport 10 Gbps ..? what model in fiber and cable.. ?

2) If, the switch 4507R don't permit to increase to 10Gbps..... can you give me... any advice....? what device can do that ?

I read something in the web, but it's not clear for me.... i think... the supervisor II plus, dont permit up to 2 10Gbps, the chassis with another ssupervisor like Sup Engine 6E or 6LE neither...... line card for this chasis dont support 10 Gbps

what device with good price/quality can help me ¿?

Thanks for your help .

William  

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For starters a 4507R has a 6 Gb (half-duplex) backplane per slot, please see link.

The question I'd like to ask is are you willing to upgrade your chassis and Supervisor engine?

If you are willing to stick to a 4500, then the best bet to start enjoying 10Gb is when you combine a 4507R+E with a Sup7E

The next up the ladder would be the 6500 combined with the Sup720.

Take note that during this year's Cisco Live 2011 Las Vegas, Cisco will be announcing the new VS-Sup2T for the 6500.  This blade will be able to support 2Tb (FULL Duplex) of backplane.

Hi mate,

Kindly can you tell us what does this really mean: 848Gbps system performance with nonblocking 48G/slot; how are these values computed? 48G/slot? Is it the a slot from the Chassis?

nonblocking 48G/slot; how are these values computed? 48G/slot?

Means each slot can push up to 48 Gb of traffic at half duplex.

What kind/type of of slot?

And why half duplex?

And why half duplex?

Because it makes the "numbers" look very impressive by the Marketing arm.  Every manufacturers do this.

What kind/type of of slot?

Each slot of the 4500 chassis which support the Sup7E.

So this means 24G full duplex?

Supervisor Engine Slots NumberSlots 5 and 6Slots 3 and 4Slots 5 and 6Slots 3 and 4

On some 4500 family products I see two slots available for Supervisors; this means a 4507R can accomodate two Supervisors simultaneously?

That's right.

On some 4500 family products I see two slots available for Supervisors; this means a 4507R can accomodate two Supervisors simultaneously?

Only the 4500 with the "R" (which stands for Redundancy or Redundant Supervisor) can support dual Sup card.

leolaohoo wrote:

That's right.

Only the 4500 with the "R" (which stands for Redundancy or Redundant Supervisor) can support dual Sup card.

This seems logic, thanks! Now what about line card slots?

Line Card Slots858552

After buying the chassis, then a Supervisor, when installing a SuperVisor it will be installed in the datasheet specified slot, but what about Line card slots? Will these be used by any of the Supervisors components?

Is a Supervisor Slot larger than a line card slot?

May I make a correction?

If you look at the Sup7E data sheet (here) and scroll down to Table 3, you'll see which chassis will support what backplane speed.

If you scroll down to Table 4 and go about a page down, you'll see the different cards that the Sup7E supports.

Thank you for the observation you made.

Still can you help me with my previos question about line cards...

Stick the supervisor cards in their respective and allocated slots.  Service line blades can go to the rest of the slots.  Is this what you are looking for?

.... we have the chassis 4507R... I understand... this device don't support 10 Gbps. ( only 2 port 10 GE) ...

...  we have to upgrade the chasis and supervisor.... 4507R+E with a Sup7E  ... in this case , I think is better to buy one Cisco 6500 , but ... what is the better choice? ?  ...  a Switch Nexus can be a good election ¿?

p.d: please, excuse mi grammar mistakes...

...  we have to upgrade the chasis and supervisor.... 4507R+E with a Sup7E  ... in this case , I think is better to buy one Cisco 6500 , but ... what is the better choice? ?  ...  a Switch Nexus can be a good election ¿?

It depends entirely on your funds and your applications.

Nexus is a good candidate for Data Centre, Layer 2 only role.

4500R+E is good for wire closets/access ports.

6500 + Sup720/Sup2T for Layer2/Layer 3 core with 6500 + Sup32 for wire closet/access ports.

If you decide to go to 6500 then I suggest you wait until the end of June 2011.  By mid-June 2011, Cisco will announce the new VS-Sup2T.  Make the choices THEN and not before because there will be some 10Gb blades that the Sup2T will NOT support.  The Sup2T will also unviel a 40Gb interface blade and much, much more. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: