cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple VRF BGP/GRE/IPsec Failing

tim.march
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure a Cisco 1941 to connect to multiple Amazon VPC instances. Each VPC instance brings up 2 x IPsec over GRE tunnels with BGP in to the EC2 cloud and enables flat extension of the corporate LAN. Basically. you can spin up EC2 instances in a private subnet and route to them across the VPC link from the corporate LAN.

The Amazon configuration is templated and not designed to support multiple instances on one customer access gateway - however, I want to overcome this and find a technical solution around bringing up a second physical router. I've got VRF configured and working for the first instance, but when we add a second VRF to the configuration IPsec fails. The second VRF is essentially identical to the first.

I've had someone I trust look at this and the only explanation they've been able to turn is that we're potentially looking at a licensing issue with IOS 15.x, the version we're running is...

ipbase        ipbasek9      Permanent     ipbasek9
      security      securityk9    Permanent     securityk9
      data          None          None          None

When we bring the second VRF online the IPsec errors seen in the logs are...

*May  4 02:09:57.807: %CRYPTO-6-IKMP_MODE_FAILURE: Processing of
      Main mode failed with peer at 72.21.209.193
      *May  4 02:10:02.807: %CRYPTO-6-IKMP_NOT_ENCRYPTED: IKE packet       from 72.21.209.225 was not encrypted and it should've been.
      *May  4 02:10:02.835: %CRYPTO-6-IKMP_NOT_ENCRYPTED: IKE packet       from 72.21.209.193 was not encrypted and it should've been.

However, the IPsec configuration is complete and all keychains etc. are in place as they should be. If anyone could provide guidance I'd greatly appreciate it.

18 Replies 18

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Pretty tricky . IPSEC config is placed under a VRF or in the Global Routing table?

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I am not sure why VRF config here can impact your IPsec, I need some more details and attach your config please in order to look at it. (remove sensitive info like Public IPs..etc)

However, the Log message indicates that (IPsec Spoof detected), this means the encrypted packet should have been recieved encrypted but its not which causing you issues with tunnel.

I have observed such behaviour with a misconfigured Crypto or the Interesting traffic (Encrypted packet) are not taking the original IPsec path, casuing Assymetrical Path and therfore dropping your traffic. Since You cant loadshare traffic between Two Identical Ipsec tunnels, but you can have it as Backup.

Regards,

Mohamed

tim.march
Level 1
Level 1

I've attached redacted copies of both configurations. The 1VPC configuration works correctly and we see the errors when running the 2VPC config. Some notes about the configuration...

• Because the VPC gateway won't establish two connections to the same customer GW IP we get around this by adding a secondary IP to the Gi0/0 interface. IPsec connections from the vrf_172_20 VRF have their tunnel-source set to the primary and vrf_172_18 to the secondary IP.
  • To get around using route-maps we use two internal VLAN's and route each VRF via the gateway on each back to our core. This bit works fine and I don't suspect it's part of the problem.
  • All configuration (GRE / IPsec / BGP / NAT / Routing) works 100% correctly with the 1VPC configuration.

Wondering if the obscurity we're seeing might be due to the secondary address on Gi0/0, although this seems unlikely?

@Florin - It's all under the VRF.

Cheers,

T

Hi All - If anyone could privide feedback on this I'd really appreciate it?

Hi Tim,

Apologize for the delay reply,

Could you please resend the running-config files again as they are not clear on the notepad. Please copy and paste it on a word document and send it back.

Regards,

Mohamed

Cheers for getting back to me. The files are just scp'd straight off the router itself. I'm not sure how Notepad treats these, but you should be able to open them in Wordpad if you're having trouble.

Hi Tim,

I am afraid this problem is due to the Secondary Interface Sourcing the IPsec Security association with the IPsec peer. Even if you specify the option of (local address) in the crypto map , it will ONLY allow you to specify the Physical interface (Primary Interface) for IPsec tunnel for IPsec tunnel association.

Could you perhaps use two subinterfaces on G0/0 instead of the Secondary IP , and then associate the Source of the tunnel from each Subinterface.

Let me know How it goes.

Regards,

Mohamed

That makes sense, it's what I was suspecting. I'll break the public interface out in to vlans at the start of next week and post an update here. Many thanks for your assistance.

Hi Tim,

I need to implement a very similar setup.  Were you able to get it to work?  If so, any hints?

Thanks

--- SOLVED ---

I need help in configuring vrf with amazon vpc.

I'm very new to Cisco, and copied Tim's 1vrf configuration and it worked.

However, I think I have to setup nat and internal interface in order to connect to/from internal n/w

I think I'm having problems in 3 things below:

1. Our router is 892 and has only 1 GigabitEthernet, so I temporarily confitured as

interface GigabitEthernet0

ip address 221.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.248

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly

!

!

interface GigabitEthernet0.1

!description --- vrf1 terminator

encapsulation dot1Q 101

ip vrf forwarding vrf1

ip address 221.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.248

I wonder if this is OK.  I can reach VPC instance by

# ping vrf vrf1 ama.zon.vpc.xxx source GigabitEtherenet0.1

2. Currently FastEthernet8 is configured as internal interface with ip 172.19.xx.23, and

can't change because this is the port I use to ssh to.  So I added a sub-interface :

interface FastEthernet8.1

!description --- internal network

encapsulation dot1Q 81

ip address 172.19.xx.23 255.255.255.0

However, I can not connect to/from internal n/w even though 'ip show route vrf vrf1' shows

172.19.xxx.xxx/27 is subnetted, 1 subnets

C       172.19.xxx.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet8.1.

3. nat:

ip route vrf vrf1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 221.xxx.xxx.yyy global(next hop which I can not ping)

ip route vrf vrf 1 172.xxx.xxx.xxx/12 (internal n/w) via 172.xxx.xxx.yyy(next hop which I can not ping)

Can anyone help configure?

Chris Dixon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I knwo this is really old, just cam across it looking for something else and rememebred the struggle I had to get this exact thing working with AWS. I did solve it after a few days melon scratching so if you still need it please let me know

Chris,

Glad you have it solved!

Would you elaborate on the Steps you made to solve your problem, this could benefit other people in the Future.

Regards,

Mohamed

I'm trying to do the same thing as you with AWS, would you be willing to send me a full config (with private info deleted)?

Thanks!

Chris Dixon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The key is to use different end points for the tunnel and keys for aws and do not use the local-address command or secondary addressing. I got it to work by using multiple vrfs and loopback interfaces for the tunnel endpoints. So, when you declare the crypto keyring be sure to tie it to the vrf containing that loop back for example
Ip vrf lo2
Cry keyring Aws2 vrf lo2

And then tie the vrf to the identity in isakmp profile eg
Cry isakmp profile awsprof
Keyring Aws2
Match identity address X.x.x.x lo2
Then within each tunnel you probably already are placing tunnel interfaces into vrfs to keep your vpc connections separate, using ip vrf forwarding, but you also need to specify a front door vrf for the tunnel (eg vrf to be used to reach tunnel peer) with the command tunnel vrf VrfName.

I think those are the bits that people struggle to get working, the other component is to make sure your loop backs can see the amazon public ip so you need to add a route into each external vrf to allow it to reach amazon public ip, and use mp-bgp to route between vrfs where you need to.
I hope this is detailed enough shout me if you're struggling to get it working or if you need anything in more detail

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco