cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA 525G1 and G2 as teleworker phones reboot spontaneously

John Gawf
Level 1
Level 1

I have two independent cases of SPA525G1 and G2 being used as teleworker phones spontaneously rebooting during calls.  They are running the latest software (7.4.8).  It doesn't happen at any other time, only during phone calls.  The SPA525G1 is my office phone which I use from our remote office and the 525G2 belongs to a customer using it remotely to their UC540.  Both UC540's are running 15.0(1)XA3a.  They typically will reboot at some point during every phone call.  I haven't opened a case on this yet.

35 Replies 35

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi John,

This is turning out to be a consistent theme at the moment

Is there any way possible you can run a debug on an active call and capture the data and provide it here?

Is there any errors messages showing up on the phone itself when it does reboot or it is just a simple clean reboot?

I would really love to see some solid data on this, this is now 3 cases that I am aware of that is active with what seems to be the same issue, potentially more than that out there.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

David,

Have you seen Cisco engineers or TMEs comment on the other cases?  I will open a case tomorrow and attempt to get it escalated.

There are no errors on the phone.  I haven't been watching the UC540 itself.  I was tolerating it for now, but when a customer called me today, the priority changed.

What are the steps to capture debug data and I will capture?

Hi John,

Have you seen Cisco engineers or TMEs comment on the other cases?

No sorry I have not, I do not have viability over the case numbers either, I have though inspected two of the systems configuration and couldn't find anything that sticks out like a sore thumb, the configs looked very sound.

I will open a case tomorrow and attempt to get it escalated. 

YES PLEASE!!! I cannot encourage you anymore to do so, the more people who are effected with this problem that log a case, the more support become aware of it and know that there is a problem out in the wild, and not with just a selected few... Please do

What are the steps to capture debug data and I will capture?

I understand that priorities can change The following debugs may not be the entire set either.

Firstly run the following command: ROUTER# term mon

• debug ssl openssl errors
  • debug ssl openssl msg
  • debug ssl openssl states
  • debug voice ccapi inout
  • debug ephone state mac-address
  • debug ephone socket mac-address
  • debug ephone message mac-address

This has to do it, it is a fair bit and do not want to overload the system, but I would like to see what information is produced on these, although they may not elude to the actual problem, but there could be some hints in there.

If the system becomes unstable or is producing unwanted results, please run the following commands imediatly:

• ROUTER# un all
  • ROUTER# term no mon

If you are using CCA make sure that if you get kicked from the system you can easily or quickly reload it, please make sure that you have a backup on hand (Should not be needed but it would be madness to any diagnosis on a system without a full backup before hand).

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

I'm hoping this can be a quick fix.  Try downgrading to firmware 7.4.7 and make sure the "Use as teleworker phone" box checked off.  The box is located under the user's extension in the users and phones section.

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The IOS is from Nov 2010 (SWP 8.0.5) https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9827

I doubt highly the combination of that IOS and Phone FW ever went through testing, and I would upgrade.

If this is SSL VPN, disable split tunnel on the UC500 VPN Server side.

You can try what Marcus suggested, and report back since there should be no reason to downgrade SPA525 from 7-4-8 (for SPA50x, we have 7-4-8a) so I would be interested in the result there.

This sounds very much like the problem I am having.

Have you looked into the logs to see if there are any issues with memory and buffers when this happens?  I have a load of these appear:

116375: May 23 11:52:25.970:  %TCP-6-NOBUFF: TTY0, no buffer available -Process= "",  ipl= 4
116376: May 23 11:52:25.994: %TCP-6-NOBUFF: TTY0, no buffer available  -Process= "", ipl= 4
116377: May 23 11:52:26.014:  %TCP-6-NOBUFF: TTY0, no buffer available -Process= "",  ipl= 4
116378: May 23 11:52:26.038: %TCP-6-NOBUFF: TTY0, no buffer available  -Process= "", ipl= 4

What happens to me is:

1) the phone connects fine on the VPN - it registers normally and everything appears fine

2) I can even use web services through it (e.g. timecard) and nothing happens

3) When I make a call everything appears to work for the first 10 to 20 seconds then the following happens:

i) The incoming traffic appears to stop (I can't hear incoming voice - but outgoing still works for a while)

ii) The phone stops responding (i.e. press a button on it and nothing happens)

iii) Eventually the status bar at the bottom of the screen says 'network error'

During this time the router's buffers start to fail - here are two sho buffers during this phase:

Public buffer pools:

Small  buffers, 104 bytes (total 104, permanent 50, peak 129 @ 1d00h):
25 in  free list (20 min, 150 max allowed)
8136282 hits, 11357 misses, 1067  trims, 1121 created
0 failures (0 no memory)
Middle buffers, 600  bytes (total 47, permanent 25, peak 82 @ 5d16h):
39 in free list (10  min, 150 max allowed)
53786782 hits, 288 misses, 714 trims, 736  created
8 failures (0 no memory)
Big buffers, 1536 bytes (total 1036,  permanent 500, peak 3362 @ 5d00h):
1000 in free list (500 min, 1000 max  allowed)
3456286 hits, 76870 misses, 74599 trims, 75135 created
40275 failures (72561 no memory)
VeryBig buffers, 4520 bytes (total 10,  permanent 10):
10 in free list (0 min, 100 max allowed)
5129  hits, 40206 misses, 0 trims, 0 created
40206 failures (66289 no  memory)
Large buffers, 5024 bytes (total 1, permanent 0, peak 1 @  4d21h):
1 in free list (0 min, 10 max allowed)
6 hits, 40200  misses, 42 trims, 43 created
40200 failures (66287 no memory)
Huge  buffers, 18024 bytes (total 1, permanent 0, peak 1 @ 4d21h):
1 in free  list (0 min, 4 max allowed)
13 hits, 59635 misses, 42 trims, 43  created
59635 failures (67661 no memory)

A few seconds Later:

Public buffer pools:
Small buffers,  104 bytes (total 113, permanent 50, peak 129 @ 1d00h):
29 in free list  (20 min, 150 max allowed)
8158905 hits, 11417 misses, 1067 trims, 1130  created
0 failures (0 no memory)
Middle buffers, 600 bytes (total 47,  permanent 25, peak 82 @ 5d16h):
39 in free list (10 min, 150 max  allowed)
53853278 hits, 288 misses, 714 trims, 736 created
8  failures (0 no memory)
Big buffers, 1536 bytes (total 3342, permanent 500,  peak 3362 @ 5d00h):
0 in free list (500 min, 1000 max allowed)
3463874 hits, 82703 misses, 74599 trims, 77441 created
44588 failures  (75750 no memory)
VeryBig buffers, 4520 bytes (total 10, permanent  10):
0 in free list (0 min, 100 max allowed)
5249 hits, 44515  misses, 0 trims, 0 created
44515 failures (69189 no memory)
Large  buffers, 5024 bytes (total 1, permanent 0, peak 1 @ 4d21h):
0 in free  list (0 min, 10 max allowed)
7 hits, 44508 misses, 42 trims, 43  created
44508 failures (69187 no memory)
Huge buffers, 18024 bytes  (total 1, permanent 0, peak 1 @ 4d21h):
0 in free list (0 min, 4 max  allowed)
15 hits, 66065 misses, 42 trims, 43 created
66065  failures (70570 no memory)

4) It will continue in this state for about 1 minute and then the following happends:

i) The phone appears to loose itself - it doesn't unregister it just say's 'connecting' - the VPN stays 'up' according to both the router and the phone.

ii) All connections on the SSL VPN drop (they stop routing but don't disconnect)

iii) The router appears to grind to a halt, these results in phones in the office loosing their line button's and packets getting lost.  the phones don't unregister it seems that the router isn't producing a heartbeat while it recovers and the phones don't like it.

4) after about 3 - 5 minutes the router recovers, and everything returns to normal.

If I reload my router the first couple of calls work fine, and then it starts to go down hill.

I am using a UC520 which may be less powerful than your UC560 - this might be why I experience more diabolic consequences....

I have opened a TAC.

Is there a possibility of making a combined thread on this.  Looking out on some other techie boards out there we aren't the only people to experience these problems.

Hi Geoffrey,

I am using a UC520 which may be less powerful than your UC560 - this might be why I experience more diabolic consequences....

I don't believe this to be the case as the original UC-520's were actually pretty robust in specification, but alas I could be wrong on this

Please let me know how you go with TAC, also do let us know when you complete the upgrade as well, note that this is not a big job, 10 minutes of downtime is all it should take so long as the updated IOS is on the flash card you would just reboot and it will upgraded, expect it to take 5-10 minutes to complete... If you use CCA it may take longer (Don't know why).

I hope TAC get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

David.

Steve,

I need to correct the initial versions I reported.  The customer is using 7.4.6 on a 525G2 and I'm using 7.4.8 on a 525G1.  Again, both are being used as teleworker phones in remote sites.  Split tunneling is disabled and as Marcus suggested the 'Use as teleworker phone" is not checked for the users.

I can't upgrade the system until an after hour opportunity, but will do that soon.  However, I assume phone firmware will remain at the same version as the upgrade is IOS only.

So, with version 7.4.6 and 7.4.8 experiencing the problem, should I spend the time trying 7.4.7 before upgrading IOS?

Hi John,

When you eventually get access to the downloads you'll see a pack for your particular UC.  It will be a zip file with all the phone loads in it, the IOS and software to drive the integrated-services-engine (that's the bit that does the voicemail/autoattendant stuff).  If you use the CCA software it will do all the upgrading for you.  When the phones next connect they should automatically download the latest phoneload file.  Sometimes they will spend a while with 'upgrading' on their screens after you reload the router after you do the install.

the other piece is localization.  You can get a language pack which will convert the nice american lady on the voicemail's to a nice british lady (or possibly a nice Aussie Lady if that's your fancy).  You can do this through the CCA and it can be done at the same time as the software pack is installed.

Regards,

I would check the teleworker box.

When you upgrade the SWP, you will go back to the 7-4-7, and will then need to drag and drop newer phone FW with CCA. Just a heads up. The Next SWP will have the latest FW.

Steve DiStefano

Technical Solutions Architect - Partner Sales, USA

Cisco Systems

7025 Kit Creek Road

Research Triangle Park

North Carolina, 27709

sdistef@cisco. com

www.cisco.com/smb

I upgraded the UC540 to the latest posted release, 15.1(2)T2.  The 525G firmware went back to 7.4.6.  I'm now having problem with my two remote sites calling each other.  They can initiatiate a call, but there is no audio.  I called SBSC and opened a case and they said there were known issues in that area with that version and to roll back to what I had previously, 15.0(5) XA3A.

I will be taking it back to the previous version and to try to resolve the original problem of the 525G phones spontaneously rebooting.  I will start by taking the 525G's back to 7.4.7.

Hi John,

I will start by taking the 525G's back to 7.4.7.

That is a wise decision, I would be weary of rolling back the IOS myself.

Cheers,

David.

David,

I have to roll back, the problems I have now are worse than before using this new IOS version.  My two remote sites can't call each other.  Then I have to solve the original problem and will try 7.4.7 in the phones.

SIGH!!!!

Sorry to hear that mate... I hope you can sort it out soon though.

Cheers,

David.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: