cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fibre uplink 2960g to SGE2010 - 2960g port error disabled?

James Reeve
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 3 C2960g-48TC-L switches chained together with fibre uplinks. I want to uplink a SGE2010 48 port through the fibre.

I got it uplinking once, but then the link failed between 2 of the C2960g-48TC-L switches. There's also a copper uplink between one of the C2960g-48TC-L's and a 16 port Linksys switch. I just get error disabled on the fibre uplink (SFP) ports. Does it require a specific config or should it just work out of the box ?  Not all of the switches are running the latest IOS.

thanks

James

5 Replies 5

davy.timmermans
Level 4
Level 4

It might be helpfull to post the cause of error disabling and eventually a small figure.

You can find the cause in the logs or via the command show interface status err-disabled (when the port is err-disabled).

Hi Davy

Switch1#sh int status err-disabled

Port      Name               Status       Reason
Gi0/45                       err-disabled gbic-invalid
Gi0/47                       err-disabled gbic-invalid
Switch1#

I've tried to use MGBSX1's. The 2960g's are linked with a different type. Do the fibre patch cables have to be of the same type across all links? The 2960g's are connected using 62.5 /125. I got the SGE2010 linking using 50 /125 but then it knocked one link out between the 2960g's.

Looking at the above error i'll check the compatibility list to see what will / should work with the switch. Any pointers would be useful.

thanks

James

Are you using 3rd party SFP's?

I found this on the web- not sure if the commands will work:

%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Gi0/2, putting Gi0/2 in err-disable state

This can happen if you are using third party SFP (non-cisco). The solution is to use undocumented command.
First enter command:

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

and second command:

service unsupported-transceiver

The second command is a hidden command apparently.

Hi

I've seen that but not sure it applies to the 2960 series. The Transceivers are Cisco branded but Linksys compatible. I notice that the others that link the 2960g's together are on the compatible list. They're linked wit  GLC-SX-MM=.

thanks

James

Works !

Many thanks..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: