Best practices in wireless configuration?

Unanswered Question
May 31st, 2011

Hi,

Is there a best practice document that shows 3500 AP with 5508 controllers? The questions I have are below.

1. Do I configure each AP to non overlapping neighbor channels(1,6,11 for 2.4GHz) or leave that to controller to decide? Does controller change the channel of an AP when it sees congestion on a specific frequency?

2. For 5 GHz is it good idea to bond the channels? What frequency to use for neighboring APs? OR again, leave it to controller to shift as needed?

3. For security what's best practices? 802.1x or different?

Thanks,

Sm

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Tue, 05/31/2011 - 15:12

1. Do I configure each AP to non overlapping neighbor channels(1,6,11 for 2.4GHz) or leave that to controller to decide?

Let the controller(s) decide.  By default the Dynamic Channel Assignment (DCA) verifies the channel for interferrence every 600 seconds.  Because you have 3500 then make sure you enable Event Driven RRM (Radio Resource Management) on both channels.

Does controller change the channel of an AP when it sees congestion on a specific frequency?

The controllers will not change the channel when it sees congestion.  The controller will change the channel if it sees interference on the same channel.  The CleanAir will change the channel when it sees interference from non-AP interference like Bluetooth, Microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc.

2. For 5 GHz is it good idea to bond the channels?

Sure.

What frequency to use for neighboring APs? OR again, leave it to controller to shift as needed?

Leave this option in default.

3. For security what's best practices? 802.1x or different?

Sure.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted May 31, 2011 at 5:56 AM
Stats:
Replies:2 Avg. Rating:
Views:694 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard