cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS-C 210M2 Can't select Bios

sbeauton
Level 1
Level 1

I have a UCS-C210M2 running verison 1.3(1c).   When I boot up the server it says checking memory and then beeps a couple times for the USB Keyboard/Mouse then shows the Cisco Logo.  This stays like this for about 30mins and then reboots and does the same thing.  All the documenation I'm reading says I should be able to hit F2 to access the bios and F8 to access the CIMC.  These options never show up and hitting the keys don't do anything.  I found the CIMC IP Address via DHCP and accessed the console this way.   I have VM Media enabled and mounted a virtual drive and then rebooted the server via CIMC.   Same thing and I never get an option to load off disk, access the bios or choose a boot device.   I'm trying to install VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0-260247.x86_64.iso  (VMware ESXI 4.1)   I have also tried to hit the esc key several times, and every other key on the keyboard but still nothing.  I did verify the keyboard is working as well.   Why is the bios not showing up and is there something else I should be doing to install this software.  Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW:  Here is the guide I'm using:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/unified_computing/ucs/c/sw/os/vmware/install/CSERIES-VMWARE.pdf

3 Replies 3

Robert Burns
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you see the memory test successfully complete?

Shortly after memory, POST tests the hardware - does this complete?

If the memory POST never says "Completed" try removing all but a pair of DIMMs and booting it up.

Also I'd suggest you export a diagnostic(Tech Support) bundle from the CIMC interface since you have access.  We can have a look through it for clues.

Regards,

Robert

sbeauton
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for everyone's help with this issue.  The problem was I was using an Old VGA monitor.  When I plugged in a new Flat Screen Monitor then all the options appeared on the screen and I was able to select the Bios and the CIMC via the keyboard.   This make no sense but that's why there bugs.  Thanks again for everyone's help  

VGA - they still make those

Good to hear you're all set.  Perhaps the screen size/res was just cutting off the options?

At least you're up & running.

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card