Views
Helpful
Replies

UCS integration with vSphere - invalid URI error

Radek Kubka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am struggling to integrate UCS Manager with vSphere vCenter.

The vCenter extension is being exported from UCSM without any errors, but when trying to install the plugin via vCenter Plug-in Manager I am getting this error:

"Invalid URI: The URI is empty"

I've found this on the web, but this doesn't bring me any closer to resolving the problem:

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2010/11/error-message-when-clicking-on-download.html

Any hints?

Regards,
Radek

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Radek,

So as long as the file is registered in the plugins within vCenter, and they show up in the list of plugins, then that is all you need to do. You do NOT need to click the "Download and Install" button as it will not work, as you have experienced. This is because it is an XML document used to enable and validate communication between UCS/Nexus 1000v and your vCenter server. There is no actual application that is executed and needs to be installed.

Hope that helps to clarify

Thanks,

Michael

View solution in original post

Radek,

The VMware integration only works if you are using Palo cards and pass through switching. If you do not plan on using PTS (now called VM-FEX) the integration will not really provide anything useful.

PTS is similar to N1KV where the VMs get assigned a virtual NIC created off the Palo card. The VM gets better network performance and network has full visibility to the VM.

louis

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mipetrin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Radek,

So as long as the file is registered in the plugins within vCenter, and they show up in the list of plugins, then that is all you need to do. You do NOT need to click the "Download and Install" button as it will not work, as you have experienced. This is because it is an XML document used to enable and validate communication between UCS/Nexus 1000v and your vCenter server. There is no actual application that is executed and needs to be installed.

Hope that helps to clarify

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response - it now makes more sense!

I am still puzzled though what this integration brings to the table in a practical terms? I was expecting something obvious being exposed via UCSM interface, but the info in my VMware tab is very brief - just a vCenter server instance plus the existing datacentre name underneath. I tried right-clicking on different elements to find something more useful, but with no luck so far.

Am I missing something again?

Regards,
Radek

Radek,

The VMware integration only works if you are using Palo cards and pass through switching. If you do not plan on using PTS (now called VM-FEX) the integration will not really provide anything useful.

PTS is similar to N1KV where the VMs get assigned a virtual NIC created off the Palo card. The VM gets better network performance and network has full visibility to the VM.

louis

Hi louis,

All is clear now - thanks.

Regards,

Radek

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: