cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10GBASE-LRM and Modal Conditioning Cables?

ds6123
Level 1
Level 1

I always thought Modal Conditioning Cables (MCP) were only used to couple "single mode" transceivers to multi-mode fibers where you needed to drive the light further than the spec allowed.  So basically the transmitter physically connected to a single mode fiber strand, the MCP perfectly spliced/centered the single mode fiber to the multi-mode fiber and this allowed longer range over multi mode fiber.

Then I ran into this and this document.

The requirement for MCP is specified only for 10GBASE-LX4 and 10GBASE-LRM transceivers transmitting in the 1300-nm window and in applications over MMF. MCP should never be used in 10GBASE-SR links in the 850-nm window.

The Cisco 10GBASE-LRM Module supports link lengths of 220m on standard Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI) grade multimode fiber (MMF). To ensure that specifications are met over FDDI-grade, OM1 and OM2 fibers, the transmitter should be coupled through a mode conditioning patch cord. No mode conditioning patch cord is required for applications over OM3

I must confess, I've deployed some 10GBASE-LRM over FDDI-grade and OM1/OM2 fibers and things work just fine without the MCP.  Do you only need it when you're pushing the 220 meter limit?

How many of you really use MCP to "ensure that specifications are met"???  Fess up. 

1 Reply 1

dominic.caron
Level 5
Level 5

I did the same for some of my links but I ran into trouble around 40 meter. I also found that my optical patch cord reseller sells MCP for 5$ more then the normal patch cord.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card