Issues with IPTV stream provided by EtherDVB

Unanswered Question
Jun 6th, 2011

Hi everyone,

We are using DMM 5.2.2 and mostly 4305G DMPs running firmware 5.2.1.

We use etherDVB (etherdvb.com) to provide IPTV streams via multicast for television.

Since upgrading we have observed the following symptoms;

• Every 8-10 seconds, the IPTV stream stops, and the background colour of the playlist element is rendered on screen
  • There is frequent pausing of the IPTV stream

Viewing the multicast stream via another endpoint - such as VLC media player or via Amino STB does not result in these symptoms.

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards,

Kathy

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
panayiotiscy Mon, 06/06/2011 - 04:03

Hi Kathy,

I had the same issue here.

The following solved my problem, it may solve yours:

Navigate to a DMP and select Video Configuration (under settings).

On the right page, enable STC Adjustment and set the jitter drifting  to >1500ms

If this setting is the answer to your issue then you can play a bit with the jitter drifting options.

I hope it helps

KathyReid Mon, 06/06/2011 - 16:21

Many thanks Panayiotis - very much appreciate the extra information.

Under 'Video Configuration' I do not have an option for STC Adjustment.

The available options and their current settings are shown below.

Should I attempt to adjust the settings?

KathyReid Mon, 06/06/2011 - 16:39

Ah - I think that the jitter setting is available on the 4400G, not the 4305G.

panayiotiscy Tue, 06/07/2011 - 23:56

Hi Kathy,

Most probable you are correct since i have never used a 4305G.

But, from me experience, the iptv stream issue you are currently facing is related with thi setting. It plays and the stops and starts again...

But, to be on the safe side, open the stream with VLC and check if it plays continuously, maybe the problem is with the multicast setting on your network.

KathyReid Thu, 06/09/2011 - 23:24

Thanks Panayiotis - the streams play perfectly in VLC...

I've tried a few different combinations of these settings and unfortunately haven't managed to solve the issue...

panayiotiscy Fri, 06/10/2011 - 00:50

Hi Kathy,

Is the 4305G model upgradable to 5.2.2?

You have mentioned "since the upgrading..." , do you mean the dmp upgrading? Because the DMM upgrading shouldnt cause this issue. It's directly related with the dmp,hardware or software.

Do you have any dmp in 5.2.1 version that you may test?

KathyReid Sun, 06/12/2011 - 15:52

Hi Panayiotis,

The 4305G units that we have are all on firmware 5.2.1 - our support partner has advised that a firmware update beyond this is not available for the 4305G.

There are two symptoms we are observing;

1. The IPTV stream from etherDVB plays for around 8-10 seconds then 'blanks out' for around 1-2 seconds

2. We also tested with another IPTV stream (from MumuDVB) and this exhibits the same symptoms - so it is unlikely to be an issue with the stream or the configuration of the streaming software itself.

Prior to the upgrade we had several versions of firmware in the fleet. The 'blanking' issue was not present, but we did observe 'freezing' of the IPTV streams every few seconds. We were hopeful that the firmware upgrade - and the associated upgrade of the DMM would resolve the issues, not make them worse

I think we're on the right track with the advanced multicast settings - but we just haven't struck up on the 'right' settings as yet.

Thanks again for all your advice - very much appreciated!

Regards,

Kathy

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted June 6, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Stats:
Replies:7 Avg. Rating:
Views:1589 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: dmm, dmp, iptv, 5.2.2, dvb, etherdvb
+