Views
Helpful
Replies

RS232 in Cisco LCD 42

Rizal Ferdiyan
Level 1
Level 1

guys,

My DMS consist of DMM 5.2.x, DMP 4400 and cisco LCD 42. I want to control LCD centrally from my DMM, so i do step to activate "RS 232 for cisco LCD 42" based on this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_2/dmm/user/guide/dmp/preso-sys.html#wp2267596

but, it doesn't success.

Do you have any idea how to activate RS232 in Cisco LCD ?

Best Regards,

Rizal Ferdiyan

8 Replies 8

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rizal,

The link you sent is for the activation of RS232 in an LCD-40 or LCD-52, but I don't know if that's because of a mistake while copying the link or whether you are really following the wrong procedure.

Anyway, the right steps to activate it are the ones described at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_2/dmm/user/guide/dmp/preso-sys.html#wp2227993

If you follow these steps carefully, you should not have any issues with the activation.

Regards

Daniel

Dear Daniel thank u for your reply.

link which you sent is same as my link, i have followed these step in that configuration guide but no result. First i activate RS-232 syntax support :

Step 1 Deploy the System Task event called RS-232: Control supported, non-DMTech displays.

Step 2 Stop. You have completed this procedure.

And then i create new application & play deployment package like in the configuration guide :

The new application is LCD_MANAGE_POLL_TURN_ON with value rs232.tx_hex=64612030302030310D.

But i got no result, is there any correction for my step ? or any hint for my issue ? and how to check that my DMP have activated RS-232 supported without send command to my LCD (what i mean is there are any sign or mark in DMP ?).

Thanks U

Hi Rizal,

From what you say, the procedure was carried out correctly, so, you should be able to use RS232 commands to manage your screen. Have you tested if RS232 is working? If so, how are you testing it?

Another thing you can try is using a browser to access the URL https://:7777/get_param?p=rs232.*

With this command, you will get the RS232 configuration on your DMP, as well as the last command sent to the screen (

rs232.tx_hex) and the last reply received (rs232.rx_buf)

I hope this helps

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the troubleshooting guide.

Im working with rizal for this issue. We have tested the RS232 by connecting the DMP to our laptop, and use hyperterminal to receive the hex sent from DMP. Hyperterminal shows unreadable digit when we push the system task for LCD turn off.

We use Cisco console cable and connect the other end with RJ to DB9 converter.

Below is the result from https about the last command sent from DMP.

rs232.device     T_STRING     /dev/ttyS0
rs232.speed     T_STRING     9600
rs232.parity     T_STRING     none
rs232.data_size     T_STRING     8
rs232.stop_bits     T_STRING     1
rs232.flow_ctrl     T_STRING     none
rs232.tx_hex     T_STRING     aa11fe010010
rs232.tx_str     T_STRING     
rs232.rx_buf     T_STRING     
rs232.rx_overflow_flag     T_STRING     false
rs232.tx_cnt     T_STRING     15
rs232.rx_cnt     T_STRING     0

We are wondering why the default system task to activate RS232 control support sent via /dev/ttyS1. The DMP is sending the command via ttyS0 as the result above. Here is the system task:

init.startService_dmttv=no&init.startService_rs232=yes&rs232.device=/dev/ttyS1&mib.save=1&mng.reboot=1.

We tried to change the system task to /dev/ttyS0 but still no luck.

We have tried both of the port of the LCD, in and out, but still cant turn off the display..

Any idea about this?

Hi Rizal,

I think we have reached the limit of what we can troubleshoot on a public forum. Moving forward, I think it would be a good idea to open a TAC service request and continue with the investigation there.

Regards

Daniel

Following on the case, I am updating this thread for future reference.

For 42" and 47" monitors the command set is different to what was used above.

We used the process below to power off the monitor:

1-----
Digital Signs > Digital Media Players > Advanced Tasks. > System Tasks

Use the Name field to enter a unique name for your new application, such as LCD_MANAGE_POLL_TURN_ON.

b. Choose Set from the Request Type list.
c. Enter the necessary command in hexadecimal.
Use the Request field to enter exactly this hexadecimal string:
rs232.tx_hex=64612030302030310D

2-----
Deploy the System Task event called "RS-232: Control supported, non-DMTech displays"

3-----
Create new tasks

check out 42" and 47" NPI slides

Display On
rs232.tx_hex=6B612030302030310D

Display Off
rs232.tx_hex=6B612030302030300D

Mute On
rs232.tx_hex=6B652030302030300D

Mute Off
rs232.tx_hex=6B652030302030310D

Regards

Richard

Do you happen to have the commands for the panel control lock and unlock?

I know this thread is 4 years old, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Lock on: rs232.tx_hex=AA36FF010036

Lock off:  rs232.tx_hex=AA36FF010037

Good source for these commands on the original Cisco LCD displays is here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/video/digital_media_systems/dmscompat3.html#wp1110407

William

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: