cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7K and FEX

bill.greenwood
Level 1
Level 1

With the Nexus 7K supporting FEX and the 2K.  How are the 2K ports allocated to VDCs?  My assumption is that the limitation is still the hardware on the 7K and that the FEX port(s) would need to be assigned to a particular VDC, which would assign the entire 2K to that VDC.  I have been unable to find an answer on CCO.  If anybody has the answer please help enlighten me.

Bill

3 Replies 3

lougrich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Bill,

You are correct, for Nexus 2K Fabric Extenders there is a limitation that they can only be assigned to a single VDC. The configuration guide for the Nexus 2K can be found at the below URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/interfaces/b_Configuring_the_Cisco_Nexus_2000_Series_Fabric_Extender.html

Please refer to page 8 'Fabric Extender Guideline and Limitations' for more information on the limitations of the Nexus 2K Fabric Extender.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Loughlin Richards.

Hi Loughlin,

I was wondering if this statement has changed in recent times?

I came across this note in the Configuring Nexus 2K FEX document.. Link below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus2000/sw/configuration/guide/rel_521/b_Configuring_the_Cisco_Nexus_2000_Series_Fabric_Extender_rel_5_2_chapter_010.html

the note states..

"The Fabric Extender feature set must be enabled in the default VDC. Once enabled in the default VDC, the Nexus 2000 FEX can belong to any VDC and can be configured from those VDCs. A single Fabric Extender may belong exclusively to a single VDC; however, you can split the ports on a FEX across multiple VDCs."

So my question is this..

Can I connect FEX ports on the 2K across multiple VDC's on the 7K and enable the 2K to support multiple VDC's?

Cheers
Darren

All,

I am also looking to get some info on spaning FEX ports across multiple VDCs on N7K.

Is it possible?

If yes, what are the supported line cards?

The uplinks from the FEX will be connected to which VDC?

****I know for sure F2 cards will not support alocating the FEX ports across multiple VDS****

Thank you and appreciate your time.

Regards

Pratheesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco