cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble changing admin PW on WRV 210

SpenceKonde
Level 1
Level 1

I just got a WRV 210 wireless router (three of them actually, planning to set up a VPN). But I can't set the admin password. I've tried 4 times, and every time, i'm forced to hold the reset button to reset to factory settings in order to access the management pages!

I enter the new password in both fields, and then click to save the settings. It restarts. Then i try to log in - and it doesn't accept the new password. It doesn't accept the default password. I've tried with admin/(new password) and (new password)/(new password), and admin/admin. None of them work, forcing me to reset router to factory settings.

I've tried a password composed of 6 letters followed by a . Thinking that maybe the . was throwing it off, I tried 6 letters followed by 3 numbers. That doesn't work either.

I've updated to firmware version 2.0.1.5. Same results.

I'm not making a typo - this has happened 4 times in a row, and the two fields need to match, so it's not belivable that it's a typo.

Does anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

riroe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Spence---My name is Rick Roe and I work in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.  I took this to the lab and I am successsful in changing the ADMIN password. I also upgraded the firmware to 2.0.1.5 on the router and after it rebooted I reset the router back to factory defaults. I then proceeded to change the password again and it works each time that I change it. When I hit submit on the password change it does take a minute or two to give me the login screen. Are you waiting till it gives you the login screen to try logging in with the new password?  If you continue to have problems with this, please give us a call at 1-866-606-1866 so we can troubleshoot with you on this.

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Interesting.

I've solved the problem, but there's some strange behavior here:

Enter new password, and save settings.

Leave browser open while router reboots.

Upon reboot you will be redirected to 192.168.1.1/index.html and prompted for a password.

Nothing you type here will work!

Now go to 192.168.1.1. The new password will now work.

This is consistently reproducible, at least using the Chrome browser.

When changing the password on older Linksys routers (or Netgear routers), this problem is not encountered