cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Instructions for clean install of CME 8.6 zipped files, on C2951 router

tandemdx-cco
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to do a brand new install of CME 8.6 on a C2951 router.   The full file set comes as a .zip file.   Do I need to unzip the file locally on my tftp server first, and then copy everything over to flash on the router, or is there an archive command I should issue from the router itself, in order to have the files unzipped in their correct directory heirarchy into flash: on the router?

If I need to unzip and copy the directory as a whole to the router, what would the proper copy tftp: flash: command be for that?

10 Replies 10

clileikis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tandem,

Installing Cisco Unified CME Software

To install Cisco Unified CME in flash memory, perform the following steps.

SUMMARY STEPS

1. Go to Software Download site.

2. Download archive.

3. Extract files to be downloaded.

4. Use the copy or archive tar command to copy file to flash memory.

5. Use the show flash: command to list files in flash memory.

DETAILED STEPS

Step 1 Go to http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-key.

Step 2 Select the file to download.

Step 3 Download zip file to tftp server.

Step 4 Use the zip program to extract the file to be installed, then:

a. If the file is an individual file, use the copy command to copy the files to router flash:

Router# copy tftp://x.x.x.x/P00307020300.sbn flash:

b. If the file is a tar file, use the archive tar command to extract the files to flash memory.

Router# archive tar /xtract source-url flash:/file-url

Step 5 Verify the installation. Use the show flash: command to list the files installed in in flash memory.

Router# show flash:

31 128996 Sep 19 2005 12:19:02 -07:00 P00307020300.bin

32 461 Sep 19 2005 12:19:02 -07:00 P00307020300.loads

33 681290 Sep 19 2005 12:19:04 -07:00 P00307020300.sb2

34 129400 Sep 19 2005 12:19:04 -07:00 P00307020300.sbn

Step 6 Use the archive tar /create command to create a backup tar file of all the files stored in flash. You can create a tar file that includes all files in a directory or a list of up to four files from a directory.

For example, the following command creates a tar file of the three files listed:

archive tar /create flash:abctestlist.tar flash:orig1 sample1.txt sample2.txt sample3.txt

The following command creates a tar file of all the files in the directory:

archive tar /create flash:abctest1.tar flash:orig1

The following command creates a tar file to backup the flash files to a USB card, on supported platforms:

archive tar /create usbflash1:abctest1.tar flash:orig1

Check out:

Installing and Upgrading Cisco Unified CME Software

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmeinstl.html

Basically the easiest way is to extract the .zip file, and create a .tar archive and use the archive tar /xtract command in CME to extract them from a TFTP server to flash.

HTH,

Chris

Please rate helpful posts

I saw this document too but It seems that the files are now downloaded in .zip format. Extract this .zip to your tftp server.

Question :

Can I still use the archive .tar command for a folder? Its a folder not a .tar file so is there a way to get all the files tftp'd over at once ?

Older versions of CME were in .tar so it was easy. now I questions the process...

Probably they assume one is to unzip first the various components on a server, then use 'archive tar' to download only the needed parts to the router.

ok so is there a way to download multiple fies at once to the router? There are many gui files needed so this can get tedious.

Easiest way is to use SCP. WinSCP is good if your router supports it, otherwise you can push via pscp which comes with putty. With pscp you can create a batch which will push the files one after the other.

Hi Clillikis,

Thanks for the post, I am doing a fresh install of CUCME 8.6 on 2901 router.

I am stuck at the archive tar /xtract command,

the CUCME guide puts as follows,

archive tar /xtract soure-url flash:/file-url

Could you please give us an example of this command,

I am running this command a few times now, I am getting the error;

Error Opening tftp://ipaddress/directory (no such file or directory)

Hi

archive tar /xtract tftp://tftp-ip-address/package-name.tar flash:

Regards

cc

Please rate all useful posts Regards Chrysostomos ""The Most Successful People Are Those Who Are Good At Plan B""

Better to use ftp, not tftp. As it is much faster.

spot on! worked a treat and that isnt the way the install upgrade guide shows how to do it . thanks 

Hi Guys,  

repling to an old thread here but I thought my contribution might help those google-fu'ers like me.   After pulling the GUI files down for the appropriate IOS, I used 7zip to tar the numerous files into a single compressed file and then used tftp to pull it down.  Archive tar away!

HTH!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: