Cisco 7970 Phone not booting after Factory Reset

Unanswered Question
Jul 8th, 2011

Hey Community,

I got a Cisco 7970G IP phone that won't boot up after I did a factory reset. It was booting up prior to doing so. Here is what is happening when I plug it in:

- Screen shows "Cisco Systems - Copyright 2002-2005, Cisco Systems, Inc", and has a checkmark on the bottom left corner

- The line buttons are lighting up in sequence from top to bottom

- The Headset key is lit and stays that way

- After about 15 seconds, the screen dims and the check mark changes to a bullseye sign.

- There is no response from any of the keys when pressing them (including the Settings Key)

This process repeats and repeats. I checked the Bug Toolkit, and I found one that may match, but it doesn't have the same symptoms: CSCsc48289

Has anyone ever experienced this and knows how to fix it?

Thanks,

Neocec

I have this problem too.
1 vote
Average Rating: 4.6 (12 ratings)
mpaneers Tue, 07/12/2011 - 04:02

Hi Neocec

Can you please make sure that you have the *.LOAD  files in your tftp server?

When you did the factory reset, did you perform the hardware reset like this:

1) power off the phone (if using inline power, just remove the ethernet)

2) hold the hash (#) button down

3) supply power to the phone (if inline power, just insert the ethernet) while still

holding down the hash button

4) when the line buttons scroll down orange, you can take your finger off the hash button

5) now press the following buttons: 123456789*0#

6) the line buttons should continue to scroll, but now they should be red

7) after about 60sec, this will change to green, and the phone should the boot up

correctly

If so and did not work for you, can you please try the following procedure again as below?

1) power off the phone (if using inline power, just remove the ethernet)

2) hold the hash (#) button down

3) supply power to the phone (if inline power, just insert the ethernet) while still

holding down the hash button 

4) when the line buttons scroll down orange, you can take your finger off the hash button

5) now press the following buttons: 3491672850*#

6) the line buttons should continue to scroll, but now they should be red

7) after about 60sec, this will change to green, and the phone should the boot up

correctly

***  Note that step 5 has changed: 3491672850*# instead of 123456789*0# ...

Thanks. 

neocec1981 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 12:11

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I have installed the latest firmware of 7970 on my CUCM. I have checked and the LOADS files are there. Are there any specific ones that it needs?

The first procedure you gave is the one I did in the first place that got me in this mess. I tried the second procedure gave with the differnet number sequence and now it shows the same symptoms but now the screen doesn't even come on!!

I look in RTMT and I can see the phone making a TFTP request, but then it just fails and repeats the same process.

Just an FYI, this is a lab environment I'm working in with a very simple setup. I have a CUCM box (Latest version of 7.1.5) connected to a 3550 PoE switch. I have set up DHCP on the 3550 and I can see that it is handing the phone an IP address. They are all on the same VLAN. I have registered two other phones with this same setup so I know the configuration is correct.

When I do a 'show cdp neighbor detail' on the 3550, it shows the Phone Version as: 79XX_default_load.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Neocec

Marcel Ammann Tue, 07/12/2011 - 12:15

Hello,

did you try an other phone? Did this work?

Could you make wireshark trace?

Kind regards,

Marcel

P.S.: Rate helpful posts

neocec1981 Tue, 07/12/2011 - 12:22

Hey Marcel,

I did a packet capture a few days ago, unfortunately I don't think I saved it. But I can tell you this, the only thing of significance I saw was that the phone was sending TFTP "Malformed" packets, and there were only like 2-3 of these packets. The rest of them were normal packets. The phone is definitely getting an IP address and requesting from TFTP of CUCM.

And yes, other phones are registering on the same port. I have tried two 7960. The only difference I can think of is power consumption, but I'm pretty sure the 3550 can handle 7970.

Thanks,

Neocec

Marcel Ammann Tue, 07/12/2011 - 12:28

Hello Neocec,

i would try to use an other tftp-server to recover the phone. I'm not 100% sure about the process, but your "option 150" must point to the alternate TFTP Server. Here you must create a SEP.cnf.xml, XMLDefault.cnf.xml (Information about the load) and upload the firmware files.

Kind regards,

Marcel

neocec1981 Mon, 07/25/2011 - 10:05

Hey Marcel,

I will give this a try and let you know. If anyone else has any other ideas in the meantime, I'm open for anything!!

Thanks,

neocec

arrrghhh3 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 09:31

I'm guessing this is a little late, but did this fix your issue?  I have basically the exact same problem, different phone model.

It's a 7962.  Originally I was getting the 'bullseye' in the bottom left corner.  No amount of hard resets would fix it, so I tried the "other" hard reset sequence (2nd steps in mpaneers post)... Well, now the phone is completely blank.  The lights turn on when I plug it in, but as soon as it goes to boot I see -nothing- on the screen!

Other 7962's have been flashed from this switch/CUCM, so I don't think there's any issues there.  I know that some of the phones that have been sitting for a while require a bit of a 'firmware dance' to get them up to the latest firmware - but the phone doesn't seem to even be getting that far.

I'm not sure how to proceed - forcing firmware isn't working, and hard resets don't work.  That second hard reset sequence seemed to make things even worse (if that's possible) because now the screen is constantly blank.  I never see anything on the screen.

Help!

neocec1981 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 09:37

I haven't actually had the time to try it. But jdevelasco was successful by following aokanlawon's post below. Give that a try and report back if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks,

John

arrrghhh3 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 10:14

Jumped the gun a bit there.

Didn't think I could get it working, but I did... however it didn't really seem to help the broken phone situation.

I see TFTPd32 receive the request and send the appropriate files to the phone.  All that "seems" fine.  However, the phones screen is still blank, and I'm not sure where it's getting stuck since there's literally nothing on the LCD.

Thanks!

Edit - crap, now I'm looking at the logs, it appears I keep getting a TIMEOUT - so it seems the phone never finishes downloading the files, yet it is able to connect and start downloading them?  What is going on...

Edit 2 - extended the timeout just for fun, and holy cow it seems I have a functional phone now!! Thanks again!

rcoote5902_2 Tue, 08/07/2012 - 14:42

I'm in the exact same situation right now with a 7962G.  After factory resetting using the 123456789*0# sequence the phone sat in the "bullseye" loop.  I've also tried the alternate sequence and the phone is now simply blank.

I've tried using an alternate tftp using both Solarwinds' TFTP Server and Tftpd32 but I don't see the phone requesting any files in either case.  What information needs to go into the SEP.cnf.xml, XMLDefault.cnf.xml files that the phone would need?

I'm presently running CUCM 7.1.3-10000-11 as well.  The firmware versions I have on the publisher (the TFTP server) are SCCP42.8-5-2S.loads and SCCP42.8-5-2SR1S.loads.  The default right now is set to SCCP42.8-5-2S.

I've tried another 7962G out of the box and it upgraded and came up without issue (using the original TFTP server on the CUCM publisher).

I don't have access to any earlier versions of firmware as I do not have a service contract at the moment.

Have I bricked this phone?

arrrghhh3 Tue, 08/07/2012 - 14:51

You set the default to 8-5-2, but did you re-upload the defaults file for 8-5-2?  (termXX.default.loads)

I think this is where I 'saved' a few phones - the term.default.loads file on my TFTP server is different than what we have on CUCM (we probably just have whatever the newest firmware is).

That's my best guess as to why the 'alternate' TFTP server works.  I used TFTPD32, and it worked great - save for the timeout issue I mentioned earlier.

Obviously you'll have to point the phone to your TFTP server, I can't really help you there as every network is different.  Once you get the phone to reach your TFTP server, you should be golden.

rcoote5902_2 Tue, 08/07/2012 - 15:31

Ok I assumed that if I changed the default firmware in CUCM the default load would reflect that.  I guess not.

Interestingly enough it seems this is a known bug because the 8.5.2 firmware is the only version that doesn't require a service contract to download.  So I downloaded the package, and unzipped all of the files including the term62.default.loads into my tftp folder and fired up Tftpd32. 

Rebooted the phone and bingo, the phone started requesting the files.  It still had a blank screen mind you, which was unnerving but it reset itself after the download and the wonderful Cisco splash screen appeared once again.

I re-adjusted my option 150 to point back at the CUCM tftp server and the phone happily upgraded itself to 8-5-2S and is back up and running.

That's a slick fix I'm going to have to remember.  Stars all around.

jdevelasco Tue, 05/22/2012 - 08:45

I did your 3491672850*# reset procedure which did get me to the Red/Orange/Green sequence but now the phone just cycles the top two line buttons Orange and then the rest Green. There is a blank screen with no logo or anything. Don't know if this is better or worse than the Bullseye reboot cycle....

Ayodeji oladipo... Tue, 05/22/2012 - 08:54

Are you using CUCM/CUCME?

What version of CUCM/CCME are you running. It is possible that the firmware on the server is to high for the phone to upgrade to. This is a common problem. In this case you need to phone to download a lower firmware first eg 8.5.X

jdevelasco Tue, 05/22/2012 - 09:19

CUCM v. 7.1.3.10000-11. I would think if the phone was even trying to load the screen would show something. I will throw some logging on to see what the phone is doing on the network.

Ayodeji oladipo... Tue, 05/22/2012 - 09:33

What you can do is use a tftp software like tftpd32. Download firmware files on it. On your DHCP scope, put your option 150 as the ip address of the machine hosting the tftp server.

Then power on the phone and observe what files the phone is trying to download that is if it makes it that far

jdevelasco Tue, 05/22/2012 - 10:25

That did the trick! I had to start with the 6.0(3)_SR1 package but I'm slowly moving through the versions one at a time to make sure it doesn't have the same issue again. Thanks!!!

khaleelmd5 Mon, 03/11/2013 - 05:54

HI,

I have the same problem too but my phone keep saying "Auth Fail" flash and it shows Copyright 2002-2005 for some time on screen and again its restarting and same proccess repeating kindly help me with this i am facing this from weeks now..

Thanks

Khaleel

Ayodeji oladipo... Mon, 03/11/2013 - 06:00

Khaleel,

Did you try this suggestion

What you can do is use a tftp software like tftpd32. Download firmware files on it. On your DHCP scope, put your option 150 as the ip address of the machine hosting the tftp server.

Then power on the phone and observe what files the phone is trying to download that is if it makes it that far

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

rcoote5902_2 Mon, 03/11/2013 - 07:12

Any time I have seen the "Auth Fail" message is due to the wrong phone model being selected in CUCM.  I have a mix of phones and sometimes clone the wrong model, this will cause the Auth Fail message.

Shiv Raman Mon, 03/17/2014 - 05:03

Hi mpaneers,

The usual reset method with the Sequence 123456789*0# just took me to the Splash scrn with the Bulls eye and the Cisco logo. So I tried the other method of factor reset what u mentioned the sequence 3491672850*# . As u mentioned the line buttons did a scroll of red and after that the phone didnt boot up. Instead the mute button flashed red and then speaker button turned green for few sec and then the lne 1 blinked orange and after that there was no sign of power at all. When i reconnect the power adapter it does the same thing. (mute button flashed red and then speaker button turned green for few sec and then the lne 1 blinked orange and after that there was no sign of power at all.) . Pls help me to get this fixed.

Thank You,

Shiv Raman I.M (shiv.raman1985@gmail.com)

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/31/2014 - 20:45

Shiv, 

You're better off creating a new thread as this one is, like, one year old.

interactivaitalia Tue, 08/21/2012 - 05:32

Hi, I have two 7970, a server with freepbx installed (centos) and a 48port poe+ switch. Would like to set up the system but I'm a newby. I tryed the 3491672850*# reset on the first phone, but now the phone does not show anything. All leds and lcd are off after boot.

Can anyone help me, maybe suggesting me some tutorials?

Do I need more hardware, like a gateway?

Thank you so much, Marco

arunkum3 Tue, 08/21/2012 - 05:42

Hi Marco,

7970 Phone works only with CUCM in SCCP mode (default). So not worth trying.

Regards,

Arun Kumar MV

Please rate useful posts !!

Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 08/21/2012 - 06:10

7970 Phone works only with CUCM in SCCP mode (default). So not worth trying.

That is incorrect. Cisco phones, (including 7970) with SIP firmware are widely used with third-party PBX. However third party PBX issues are rarely discussed here, a better place to look is www.voip-info.org

interactivaitalia Tue, 08/21/2012 - 07:45

Thanks for quick reply.

I'm not sure what kind of system may I use. I was just trying with FreePbx, by reading some forum threads on the net.

If I would set up theese phones with Cisco harware, what should I buy? I would like to use them in a small office, but should be easily upgradable to 6-7 phones.

Thanks again, Marco

Paolo Bevilacqua Tue, 08/21/2012 - 07:51

You can use an UC520 that does everything and not even expensive on the refurbished market.

interactivaitalia Tue, 08/21/2012 - 08:30

Not expensive, but not even cheap. By the way, seams to be a great product and, of course, should be easier to set up than the pbx. Thank you Paolo

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted July 8, 2011 at 3:03 PM
Stats:
Replies:31 Avg. Rating:4.63636
Views:22642 Votes:1
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard

Rank Username Points
1 21,026