Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7970 Phone not booting after Factory Reset

Giovanni Ceci
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Community,

I got a Cisco 7970G IP phone that won't boot up after I did a factory reset. It was booting up prior to doing so. Here is what is happening when I plug it in:

- Screen shows "Cisco Systems - Copyright 2002-2005, Cisco Systems, Inc", and has a checkmark on the bottom left corner

- The line buttons are lighting up in sequence from top to bottom

- The Headset key is lit and stays that way

- After about 15 seconds, the screen dims and the check mark changes to a bullseye sign.

- There is no response from any of the keys when pressing them (including the Settings Key)

This process repeats and repeats. I checked the Bug Toolkit, and I found one that may match, but it doesn't have the same symptoms: CSCsc48289

Has anyone ever experienced this and knows how to fix it?

Thanks,

Neocec

48 Replies 48

Hi Neocec

Can you please make sure that you have the *.LOAD  files in your tftp server?

When you did the factory reset, did you perform the hardware reset like this:

1) power off the phone (if using inline power, just remove the ethernet)

2) hold the hash (#) button down

3) supply power to the phone (if inline power, just insert the ethernet) while still

holding down the hash button

4) when the line buttons scroll down orange, you can take your finger off the hash button

5) now press the following buttons: 123456789*0#

6) the line buttons should continue to scroll, but now they should be red

7) after about 60sec, this will change to green, and the phone should the boot up

correctly

If so and did not work for you, can you please try the following procedure again as below?

1) power off the phone (if using inline power, just remove the ethernet)

2) hold the hash (#) button down

3) supply power to the phone (if inline power, just insert the ethernet) while still

holding down the hash button 

4) when the line buttons scroll down orange, you can take your finger off the hash button

5) now press the following buttons: 3491672850*#

6) the line buttons should continue to scroll, but now they should be red

7) after about 60sec, this will change to green, and the phone should the boot up

correctly

***  Note that step 5 has changed: 3491672850*# instead of 123456789*0# ...

Thanks. 

Thanks for your reply to my post.

I have installed the latest firmware of 7970 on my CUCM. I have checked and the LOADS files are there. Are there any specific ones that it needs?

The first procedure you gave is the one I did in the first place that got me in this mess. I tried the second procedure gave with the differnet number sequence and now it shows the same symptoms but now the screen doesn't even come on!!

I look in RTMT and I can see the phone making a TFTP request, but then it just fails and repeats the same process.

Just an FYI, this is a lab environment I'm working in with a very simple setup. I have a CUCM box (Latest version of 7.1.5) connected to a 3550 PoE switch. I have set up DHCP on the 3550 and I can see that it is handing the phone an IP address. They are all on the same VLAN. I have registered two other phones with this same setup so I know the configuration is correct.

When I do a 'show cdp neighbor detail' on the 3550, it shows the Phone Version as: 79XX_default_load.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Neocec

Hello,

did you try an other phone? Did this work?

Could you make wireshark trace?

Kind regards,

Marcel

P.S.: Rate helpful posts

Hey Marcel,

I did a packet capture a few days ago, unfortunately I don't think I saved it. But I can tell you this, the only thing of significance I saw was that the phone was sending TFTP "Malformed" packets, and there were only like 2-3 of these packets. The rest of them were normal packets. The phone is definitely getting an IP address and requesting from TFTP of CUCM.

And yes, other phones are registering on the same port. I have tried two 7960. The only difference I can think of is power consumption, but I'm pretty sure the 3550 can handle 7970.

Thanks,

Neocec

Hello Neocec,

i would try to use an other tftp-server to recover the phone. I'm not 100% sure about the process, but your "option 150" must point to the alternate TFTP Server. Here you must create a SEP.cnf.xml, XMLDefault.cnf.xml (Information about the load) and upload the firmware files.

Kind regards,

Marcel

Hey Marcel,

I will give this a try and let you know. If anyone else has any other ideas in the meantime, I'm open for anything!!

Thanks,

neocec

I know this is an old thread but I've recently had this problem and was frantically trying everything.

The key thing here is the correct firmware. I tried loads of them (starting at the lower end) but none of them worked. I then tried the latest firmware and it did work.

You are quite correct, it will recover from a blank screen which takes about 5 mins max. I used solarwinds tftp server as you can watch the live logs as the phone tries to get the files.

If it goes into a loop, it's more than likely because you haven't got the correct firmware files. Once you have the correct firmware, you will see the phone download the jar and app files etc and you should have the screen backup within a few minutes.

Hope this helps somebody.

Thanks for the information! The process and advice you mentioned resulted perfect for me! The only difference is that I used tftpd32 but with the same results. 

Just for the record, the phone was a 7962 with blank screend and we used the latest firmware 9.4(2)SR1, because the others didn't work.

I have a 7941G-GE with a blank screen and cannot seem to locate the files needed to fix this issue to save my life.  I'm new to Cisco phones and really could use a bit of assistance.

Try here:

https://software.cisco.com/download/type.html?mdfid=280083381&catid=null

You need to select whether you want SCCP (default for Cisco's) or SIP

From there, download the software and place all the files on a TFTP server (solarwinds or tftp32 etc) or the UCM if you have one. Make sure you DHCP server has the option 150 pointing towards the TFTP server IP address and then plug the phone in.

If everything is configured correctly, the phone will then get an IP address and look for files on the TFTP server.
Leave it for a couple of minutes and you should see the phone trying to pick the cfg files/firmware on its screen. You should also see activity on the TFTP server log interface. Once the phone has ran through this, it will then boot.

As above, if it goes into a loop, you might have the wrong firmware so you might have to experiment with a few firmwares but I'd start with the latest.

would there be any way you could walk me through this?  This is my first time using Cisco's phone products.  I have the TFTP server setup, and I think I'm pointing it to the correct address, but the phone doesn't do anything.  The lights change to red, but I not getting anything on the server side.  If you could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.  I can also be reached by email, at info@TheTechSquad.org or you could even call me.  1-248-671-3008.  And thank you.

1. Download a free TFTP server and place it on your network on a pc that has a static ip address. You need to configure the directory that it will serve the files from eg C:\Tftp-root

2. Download the firmware files from the link in my previous post. Use the zip file version and unzip these files in the folder that you specified on the tftp server. Place all of the files into this directory.

3. You must configure your dhcp options and include the tftp server ip in these options. For a windows server dhcp, it's option 150 and you simply specify the tftp server address. If you are using a cisco router/switch, this is easily set also. Some SOHO routers might not have this option eg netgear home router etc.

4. Once you are sure you have the above options configured, simply plug the phone into the network. If you are using solarwinds tftp server, you will see the phone thrying to pull the files from the tftp server on it's logging interface.

5. The phone buttons on the right hand side of the phone will briefly flash (the top two I think??) and the phone should start to pull the files. If it doesn't, check the logs on the tftp server to see if any activity occurred. There should be an attempt to get the files. If not, double check your config to make sure it's pulling from the right location etc. It it still doesn't do this, you might have to put a wireshark tap to see exactly what's happening with the phone.

6. Generally, as long as you have power to the phone ie some buttons briefly flash on the right hand side of the phone, it should come to life within a few minutes.

You might also want to try the resetting of the phone with the combinations below although it sounds like this might not be possible in your case:

Turn phone on whilst holding # and then key in 123456789*0#
OR
Turn phone on whilst holding # and then key in 3491672850*#

the thing is, I am using a mac. but I do have a windows machine around.  The link you provided me, takes me to Cisco's site and it won't let me download the firmware files I need.  Keeps saying something about update address.  Like I said, I am new to this.  Which port do I plug my crossover cable into, PC or Switch?  if at all possible, could you send me the correct files I need?  I tried to install he CUCM on a virtual machine with no luck.  I have been to 20 different forums, and everybody says something different.  I just need someone to help me.  I'll even pay you.  Can we talk, IM, anything?  Thanks for even replying to me.  Like I said, I'm new to this.

HI,

trust me, you don't need a CUCM to fix this error. Simply a correctly configured TFTP & DHCP server and the files. You need to register with Cisco (2 minute job) and you will be able to download the files from the link above.

What do you have serving up ip leases on your network? Is it your router?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: