Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7911 IP Phone

#TCN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have have around 12 x 7911 phones that are stuck on the Cisco (java) screen and do not boot, the phones have a circle on the bottom left hand side of the screen where a tick normally is 

I have tried 123456789*0# and it seems to default to terminal.6.default, I have also tried the RMA code on some of the phones but the phone lights up and then the screen goes dead.

I have moved the phone to the same VLAN as the call manager but cant seem to get the phone that was RMA back working - dead!

when moving the other phones to the CCM vlan the phones that were stuck on the Cisco (java) screen ...they are now show upgrading and stay like that - sometimes the phones reboot but the screen stay's at upgrading

any thoughts?

Thanks
James

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi James

This is not uncommon; did you perform a CUCM upgrade at the time the phones developed this problem?

If you try and upgrade 7911s to a recent (signed) copy of the firmware, the phone doesn't understand it, the upgrade fails, and then it just cycles for ever. What you need to do is upgrade to an interim (unsigned) release, and then upgrade to the final version.

The easiest way I've found of doing this is actually to download an unsigned CCME image for the phone, and stick that on a Cisco router / switch. Make this device the TFTP and DHCP server for a new VLAN, and place the handsets in it. You should find that the phone upgrades correctly. Once done, move the handsets back to their production VLAN.

It's a bit tenous, but I've managed to recover a fair number of phones that way.

HTH. Barry

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi James

This is not uncommon; did you perform a CUCM upgrade at the time the phones developed this problem?

If you try and upgrade 7911s to a recent (signed) copy of the firmware, the phone doesn't understand it, the upgrade fails, and then it just cycles for ever. What you need to do is upgrade to an interim (unsigned) release, and then upgrade to the final version.

The easiest way I've found of doing this is actually to download an unsigned CCME image for the phone, and stick that on a Cisco router / switch. Make this device the TFTP and DHCP server for a new VLAN, and place the handsets in it. You should find that the phone upgrades correctly. Once done, move the handsets back to their production VLAN.

It's a bit tenous, but I've managed to recover a fair number of phones that way.

HTH. Barry

Hi Barry

Thanks for your reply - I will give that a go and let you know

Regards,

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: