Views
Helpful
Replies

Standard Shutdown and Powerup procedure for UCS system

aruncr_07
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We have two Cisco UCS chassis with three B200M1 blades in each chassis. Both chassis are connected to two 6120 Fabric Interconnects.

ESX 4.1 is running on each blade.

Please let me know if there is a standard and detailed procedure to Shutdown and Powerup the entire system.

Any information would be of great help.

Thanks,

Arun

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Arun,

Shutdown devices in the following order:

1. Graceful shutdown of blades

2. Disable Smart Call home (if enabled)

3. Chassis (unplug power)

4. Remove Power to Secondary FI

5. Remove power to Primary FI.

Prior to any such maintenance please back up your UCSM config both "All" and "Full".

Reverse the order to power the system back up.

Regards,

Robert

View solution in original post

Nope there's no graceful procedure for the FIs.  You can reboot the FI's from the Managment context, but for a shutdown you remove power.  Doing the secondary first removes the need for the system to failover.

This procedure is not harmful to the system.

Robert

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

David.Jarzynka
Level 1
Level 1

First, I would always set the BIOS policy to keep the blades "down" during any AC power outage. After that I would always power the FIMs first and then the chassis after the FIMs come up.

Beside that, there is little to do. The system will calm down after everything comes up.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

I want to know if there is a standard order in which each component of UCS should be powered off during UCS system shutdown activity and How to powerdown each component.

By component I mean blades, IOM, chassis, Farbric interconnect etc.

Thanks,

Arun

Arun,

Shutdown devices in the following order:

1. Graceful shutdown of blades

2. Disable Smart Call home (if enabled)

3. Chassis (unplug power)

4. Remove Power to Secondary FI

5. Remove power to Primary FI.

Prior to any such maintenance please back up your UCSM config both "All" and "Full".

Reverse the order to power the system back up.

Regards,

Robert

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

This is the answer I was looking for.

I also want to know if there is a command to shutdown Primary and Secondary FI, since removing the power would be an abrupt shtdown.

Thanks,

Arun

Nope there's no graceful procedure for the FIs.  You can reboot the FI's from the Managment context, but for a shutdown you remove power.  Doing the secondary first removes the need for the system to failover.

This procedure is not harmful to the system.

Robert

Thanks a lot Robert. This answers my question. 

thisisdan
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for sharing you knowledge.  This thread presents another question.....

How do I initiate a shutdown of a blade server from CLI? 

In my situation I am setting up a new UCS pod.  I created one temporary Service Profile just so I could push host firmware upgrades to each blade server.  All the blades servers are now powered up but I do not need them.  I would like to power them down.  The shutdown option from the GUI is grayed out.  I looked through the CLI reference guide and did not find anything. 

Your assistance is appreciated.

Thank you

Dan

I think I found my answer.  I need to associate a Server Profile to the blade server first.  If there is another way, I would love that have that information.  Thank you.  Dan

Dan,

I tend to create a host firmware package & mgmt firmware package. Then I create a service profile template and then add these policies to the service profile template. Than I create a number of service profiles from this template and then apply those template to either blades or slots.

When you apply the service profile you will have the "keep down" option. When the profile applys it will flash the firmware and then shut down. This tends to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I hope this helps,

David Jarzynka

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: