Views
Helpful
Replies

Hsrp version 1 or version 2

lomonaco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm envolving in a project which main objective is to restructure the network datacenter of a enterprise customer. All the switches in DataCenter are Cisco (6500, 4500 and Nexus Models)

During this restructure, I'm making a lot of changes and recommendations, main in L2/L3 Protocols like STP/HSRP/UDLD/OSPF, following the Cisco Best Practice Recommendations

Now I'm doubt if worst the work to migrate all the 150 HSRP Groups from version 1 to version 2.

Because is critical environment, any change have to be made in a specific maintenance window..

So my doubt is, should I get the opportunity now to move to HSRP Version 2 or not justify the work for that.

The customer is not planning to have IPv6 in this network

Thanks in Advanced

My Best Regards

2 Replies 2

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to ask yourself do you want to sync the HSRP group ID with your VLAN ID. If you want to do that, HSRPv2 will give you group number from 0 - 4095.

BTW, matching the HSRP group ID and VLAN is a best practice in the Nexus environment.

HTH,

jerry

Vl@d@Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lomonaco,

just wondering did you do it on the end ? and how did you do it ?

BR

Vlad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: