Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS: Cisco Unified Border Element for PSTN SIP trunks

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Randy Wu

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn best practices on how to configure and troubleshoot Cisco Unified Border Element (UBE) for the public switched telephone network (PSTN) Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunks with  Cisco subject matter expert Randy Wu. Randy Wu is a senior customer support engineer in the Multiservice Voice team at Cisco in Sydney. He has vast experience and knowledge configuring, troubleshooting, and designing Cisco UBE, gateways, and gatekeepers, working with H323, MGCP, and SIP protocols. He joined Cisco as a systems engineer in 1999. He holds CCIE certification (#8550) in Service Provider, Routing, and Switching and Voice.

Remember to use the rating system to let Randy know if you have received an adequate response.  

Randy might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the IP Telephony discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through August 5, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

35 Replies 35

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Thank you Cisco moderator for this nice topic. and thanks to Randy for his time and help.

I have one question regarding the new platforms 2900 and 3900 routers. there is CUBE license. when I have to order this license and when I do not. Is it required in our case PSTN SIP Trunk?

And how I can know if the router contains this license or not if I already have a router?

Hi,

thanks for your questions.  Regarding to the CUBE license for 2900,3900 routers,

1.   Your router comes with the evaluation license, also known as a temporary  license, for most packages and features supported on your router. If  you want to try a new software package or feature, activate the  evaluation license for that package or feature.

If you want to permanently activate a CUBE function on your router, you must get a software license, so it is required for your PSTN SIP trunk function. it might come with the router platform depending on your order.

Please follow the URL for more details about the CUBE license ordering,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/order_guide_c07_462222.html

2.  You can determine the licenses activated on your system by issuing the

show license feature   command on the router command-line interface (CLI)

Rgds/Randy

Hi Randy

what the difference between the UC lic and CUBE lic

because if i have UC lic i can still configure my IPtoIP dial-peers, xcoding ot MTP and other VOIP services

Thanks

Marwan

yuanwu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Marwan

Thanks for your question.

The UC lic is for Unified Communication software package, the CUBE license is specially for CUBE function and sessions it will support.

You can order the Cisco Unified Border Element in two ways:

• Start with a base router and add the software and licenses individually to the order.

•  Start with a bundle that includes some (or all) of what is necessary  for the order and offers optional upgrade options. Some bundles are  defined specifically for Cisco Unified Border Element deployments.

Depending on your purchase order, the CUBE function might be already included, in addtional there is temp license available in every ISR G2 router, you can try the UC feature and CUBE feature, if you need the permanent feature, you have to buy the relevant license.

please check the following URL for more details,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/order_guide_c07_462222.html

Rgds/Randy

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

In the past I've done a couple of CUBE configs on gateways that connect to a SIP provider.  These providers have always sent me a single IP address to point the dialpeer to for the sip session target.

I have a new turnup for another customer and the provider is giving me two IP's....one for media and one for signaling.  I've been looking online and at the

interoperability portal for an example but I can't seem to find a clear answer.  Which IP do I set as the session target and do I need to put the second IP into the config somewhere? 

I appologize if this is a basic question but I'm alittle confused on which IP goes where.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mike

Hi, Mike

thanks for you question.

The ip address configured on the CUBE will be the signaling ip address pointing to the provider, you will not worry about the media address from the provider, usually it will be different than the signaling ip address, once in the SDP message the provider sends the media address, the CUBE will send the media to that ip address.

Rgds/Randy

tonyng
Level 4
Level 4

I have a questions about faxing over SIP using G711 pass-through.

Understanding that faxing over SIP can have reliability issues, what about using G711 pass-through?  My customer's SIP provider, Verizon, is claiming they have ONE customer that is using this and is working with Rightfax, but are also saying that Rightfax isn’t a certified solution on their end and will not guarantee its success and are advising us to do a POC.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Tony

yuanwu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi, Tony

thanks for your question.

Since either fax using T.38 or pass-through via CUBE, it will be via IP network, and fax is more sensitive to packet drop, jitter than the voice or data traffic, you have to make sure the network design and provider SLA will satisfy the requirement.

In addition, you can have redundancy option for both T.38 or pass-through to compensate the network environment, but might get the trade-off for longer transmission.

Rgds/Randy

maragon
Level 1
Level 1

Great Topic! I am going to be deploying CUBE gateways soon to interoperate with current H323 gatekeepers for international trunks. Do you have some quick information as far as recommended best practices for security and configuration examples?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi, Mike

thanks for your question.

For CUBE security configuration with H323 protocol, you can follow the criteria for the SIP protocol in the following URL,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/white_paper_c11-613550_ps10536_Products_White_Paper.html

the considerations will be followed,

• Access Lists (ACLs) to Allow/Deny Explicit Sources of Calls:  Permit traffic only from the service provider SBC on the outside, and  only the valid call agent(s) on the inside of the network. No other  endpoint or source should be able to make or receive calls to Cisco UBE.

• CAC to Limit Call Arrival Rates and Max Active Calls: Deploy total call limits, per dial-peer call limits, call spike detection and CPU protection against potential DOS attacks.

• Toll Fraud Lock-Down: Ensure that only legitimate endpoints can make authorized toll calls via Cisco UBE.

as  of 15.1.2T Cisco IOS no longer allows connections from "unknown"  sources to connect by default. Only sources on the IP Trust List are  allowed (by default) and all other calls are rejected.

IP  addresses defined in the "session target ipv4:" commands on dial-peers  are automatically included in the IP Trust List. Additional valid source  IP addresses can be added manually to the Trust List if needed by using  the following CLI:

voice service voip

ip address trusted list

ipv4 xx.xx.xx.xx

Rgds/Randy

mrmhar1408
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

My Question: Is there any limitations on CUBE to use fax T.38 with SIP Trunks from SP and send the fax over unity call handler to fax server? as it is working fine with TDM trunks but not with SIP trunks

Hi, Mrmhar1408

Thanks for your question.

The Cisco CUBE supports T.38 fax relay if you have SIP trunk from SP, and SIP trunk to the CUCM.

Please provide more details about how the fax will be handled in the Unity Call handler to fax server.

If it is T.37 store and forward fax for that part , then it will not be supported.

We need to have a TDM call leg to support T.37 store and forward fax.

Rgds/Randy

Thanks for your reply, actually the fax call going as the following:

Sending Fax ----PSTN SIP --> CUBE ----SIP Trunk----> CUCM 8.0 ----->Unity call handler ---Caller dial fax extension ---> CUCM ----Route pattern----> Fax Server.

there is no T.37 here only T.38

Hi, Mrmhar1408

thanks for your response.

If it is all the way T.38 fax relay, it will work.

Please open a TAC service request, we will look after it, thanks.

Rgds/Randy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: