cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot 3750 from tftp

Pavel Doronin
Level 3
Level 3

Tell me please is there any way to boot catalyst 3750 (3560, 2960) switch from tftp?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

*.bin file is 20MB

Ok then.  I think I know WHY you are in this predicament.  Anyways ...

Download the IOS version 12.2(55)SE.  For a 3750 with only 16mb of flash, this version (55) is the highest you can go.  It says so in the 12.2(58)SE Release Notes.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There really is only one way...if you're looking for suggestions, use FTP and if you're in a secure environment (which I guess you're not if you're using TFTP) use SCP.

Thanks but what command i must use?

boot system ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/3750.bin

I'm tryed to use

boot system tftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/3750.bin

and it did not work.

Output was No such device.

P.S. Ping works fine

Pavel

Are you using the correct filename for the image. See this link for full details of setting up to load image from tftp -

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure/switching/blog/2011/07/20/booting-cisco-router-from-a-tftp-server

note, i have not used this on a 3750 switch so it may or may not work, you will need to test.

Jon

Hi,

I think it is not possible to boot 3750 switch using tfp. you can try auto install feature.

i have mentioned below the link for auto install feature

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/ffun_c/ffcprt1/fcf002.htm#wp1012146

Otherwise we left with xmodem recovery.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Somu

pls rate this answer if the content was found useful

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you elaborate what you are trying to do?

on Catalysr 3750G i try to

boot system tftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/file.bin

May be i must set any variables in rommon mode?

Are you trying to boot your appliance from a missing or corrupt IOS?

Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image

I try to load IOS that is more than my Catalyst flash )))

I try to load IOS that is more than my Catalyst flash

Ok, then why not delete the un-necessary files so the BIN file can fit into your appliance's flash memory?

Can you post the command "dir flash:" please?

IOS file 20 MB

Flash size 16 MB

Not a variant ))

IOS file 20 MB

Hold on.  WHAT file are you talking about?  The TAR file (is > 16 mb) or the BIN file (<14 mb)?  You should upload the BIN file as per the link I've posted.

If you have a TAR file then use a free proggie called WinRAR to unpack it.

*.bin file is 20MB

*.bin file is 20MB

Ok then.  I think I know WHY you are in this predicament.  Anyways ...

Download the IOS version 12.2(55)SE.  For a 3750 with only 16mb of flash, this version (55) is the highest you can go.  It says so in the 12.2(58)SE Release Notes.

Long time ago i boot 2500 router directly from tftp, because ios image was bigger than flash on 2500 router and it works fine!

I try to find the way to do this on Cat3750.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco