WLC questions

Answered Question
Aug 4th, 2011

hi! I've a few questions about cisco wireless controllers setup:

1) If i would to setup internal dhcp server in both of my controllers, can i set the dhcp scope of both controllers with the same name, same ip range to be issue out and misc dhcp setup?

2) What's the different between wep, static wep +802.1x? If my objective is to have one passphase to be used by everyone and once keyed into their device the user will no longer be prompted to key in another passphase until i change the passphase, which option shd i choose?

3) For Web- Auth, how often does the user need to key in the  login account/pwd every time they launch the IE? Is it determine by the dhcp session or the session timeout setting in the wlc?

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Nicolas Darchis about 2 years 8 months ago

WPA-PSK is great yes. Not wep :-)

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Nicolas Darchis Sun, 08/07/2011 - 01:22

1) The internal DHCP is meant for small deployment, or for a specific subset of clients but it's not a full-blown DHCP server. It is not supported to configure internal DHCP server on several WLCs and expect all to work smoothly.

You could do this only if the subnets are different. But then mobility roaming can be an issue...

2) Why do you bother about WEP anyway ? Are you REALLY sure you want WEP ?

I'm sure you don't, but in case ... wep is a preshared key and wep+dot1x is dot1x authentication so each one has different credentials.

3) It is determined by the session timeout of the WLAN which is 30 minutes by default

dave123456 Sun, 08/07/2011 - 23:17

hi! Currently there isn't anything configured on the L2 & L3 of the WLC interface tab, it's free for access. So, i'm thinking of setting a passphasae (WLAN>Layer 2 tab to use WPA+WPA2 Policy with PSK-ASCII with Tkip WPA policy) for at least some minimal level of authentication. Do you forsee any issue on this?

Thanks.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted August 4, 2011 at 8:00 AM
Stats:
Replies:3 Avg. Rating:5
Views:468 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard