Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 on internet gateway

SaeedBakh_2
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

we have 12410 GSR (PRP2) as internet gateway peering with 6 global ISP , and receive full internet routintg from them, CPU is high especaily at BGP scanner process,we are planning to enable IPv6 on this internet router so we can not expect what will happened with the performance and CPU,please advise.

4 Replies 4

fabios
Level 1
Level 1

Ahmed,

you are not sayin how are you planning to enable IPv6.

If you just establish a tunnel with a single peer and a single default route routing a /48 or two is very doubtful you will notice any performance impact.

If you decide to be multihomed and establish BGP peer relationships with multiple ISPs to achieve a full IPv6 table with a defaultless router well, you will need additional CPU and memory capabilities.

Cheers

Fabio

we do you recommend as a powerful router which can handle too many full bgp internet routing table and run IPv6/IPv4 with excellent performance.

Ahmed,

I do not understand what are you asking here. But if you are asking what platform I would be recommanding for a defaultless router running both a full BGP table in v4 and v6 well, I am not qualify to recommand such platform but I would recommand to start with an impementation plan. Decide wht you want to achieve and a timeline.

Also if you are running a production network, be very wary of changes.

I would rather deploy a second platfome and start using it for v6 leaving alone the v4 production network. Otherwise, you might end up disrupting service.

Cheers

Fabio

q1) is 12000 support dual stack ,and what will be impact if we will configure new stack ipv6,i do not think there will be any interact between the v4 and v6 here,

q2) also how much do you think the load or cpu utilization when i added the ipv6 on the router with full internet routing table received from four neighbors BGP peers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: