cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to start ASDM version 1.5(50)

tpheister
Level 1
Level 1

I recently upgraded Java to JRE version 1.7.0 and now when I try to login to the ASA 5510, I get the following message in the java console log.

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.ClassCastException: sun.security.ssl.X509TrustManagerlmpl cannot be cast to com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.X509ExtendedTrustManager

at com.sun.deploy.security,X509ExtendedDeployTrustManager.<init>(Unknown Source)

I have attached the log file (2 pages).

6 Replies 6

Anu M Chacko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom,

ASDM is not currently supported with JAVA version 7. The exception you see above is typically generated. I suggest you downgrade java version to 6.

An enhancement request has been files for this:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCts17526

You will be able to view this bug after 24 hours.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anu

P.S. Please mark this question as resoved if it has been answered. Do rate helpful posts. Thanks!

Thank you this fixed my problem also.

bhbsystesm
Level 1
Level 1

Quick workaround is to change your ASDM launcher shortcut to point to Java 6 which may well still be on your client. Assuming it's Windows 7, look at the Control Panel -> Programs and Features, and you'll probably find a few different versions of Java there. Typically, the ASDM launcher shortcut target will end up looking something like this:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dsun.swing.enableImprovedDragGesture=true -classpath lzma.jar;jploader.jar;asdm-launcher.jar;retroweaver-rt-2.0.jar com.cisco.launcher.Launcher

Thanks Steve, your workaround works for me.

I found Java 6 and made a shortcut to it with your stuff added:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dsun.swing.enableImprovedDragGesture=true -classpath lzma.jar;jploader.jar;asdm-launcher.jar;retroweaver-rt-2.0.jar com.cisco.launcher.Launcher

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\ASDM\"

So I can keep running Chrome and the latest version of Java elsewhere.  I hope that is useful to others as well

Steve:

Thank you EVER so much for your assistance!  I have been battling with this for two days; when I saw this particular thread the problem was resolved in minutes.  Again, my thanks.

Hi Bro

You could refer to https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2159707

Warm regards,
Ramraj Sivagnanam Sivajanam
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: