The OnPlus Service provides so much value once your customer’s accounts are up and running – an inventory of devices that have been discovered and that you can manage from wherever you are.
However, we’d like to enable you to become even more effective by providing you with the ability to activate the appliance without having to go to the customer site.
Activation at a customer site
Conventionally, the OnPlus Network Agent (ON100) needs to be activated while you are present at a customer site (on the same LAN segment as the ON100). You can do this via two methods:
- Locate the ON100 network agent on the network using UPnP or Bonjour, and enter the activation code given following a customer entry creation
- Use the ‘Activate Now’ option – once you’ve created a customer entry, and while you are on-site, use the ‘Activate Now’ link that is next to the Activation ID. This will take you directly to the OnPlus Network Agent’s web page, and automatically populate the Activation ID.
If more than one ON100s are found on the network you are on, a drop down list of the MAC addresses will appear and let you choose the device you wish to activate.
For a step-by-step guide on how to do this, please see this video
Activation at your office, home, or other location
You can, however, activate an OnPlus Network agent without needing to be present at a customer site.
Here’s how to do this:
While you are at your office, home, or anywhere that has a wired Internet connection, unpack the ON100, plug it into the network and power it on. Once it’s operational, follow these simple steps:
- Create a customer entry for the customer your wish to manage, and get an activation ID from the portal. Please see this video for more detailed demonstration on how to do so.
- Activate the ON100 for the customer using either of the methods described above. Please see this video for a step-by-step guide on how to do so.
- Allow the OnPlus Network Agent to download its firmware, reboot and initialize itself. This process can take about 15-20 minutes, depending on your Internet connection speed.
- Once the device is ready and associated with the correct customer entry, the ON100 log-in screen will appear.
- Unplug the device from the network and power supply before it begins with network discovery - please see NOTE below..
- Ship the device to your customer. Have him/her install the ON100 on a switch port on their network (see here for guidelines) and power it up.
- The network agent should activate on the customer account already created in step 1.
NOTE: If the device has already begun to discover devices on the network you are on, simply Rediscover the Network once the device is up and installed at the customer site.
Future enhancements –what do you think?
In the future, we would like to make it even easier for you to activate the OnPlus Network Agent by providing you with a way to allow your customer to perform the on-site activation of the ON100 network agent.
If you’d like to have your customer help with on-site activation, the OnPlus portal could — with your permission — send your customer a link to the OnPlus Activation page where they could use the Activate Now feature to activate the network agent for you.
This is how it would work…
- Resell the ON100 to the customer and ship it to him/her.
- Create an entry for that customer (as you do now).
- Email the link to the Activation page to your new customer – either through the OnPlus portal or by copying the URL and using a local email service.
- Your customer would then connect the ON100 to their network, open the link to the Activation page sent to him/her, and use the Activate Now feature to activate their site (see below).
What do you think of this process? We’d love to get your opinion!
Comments, questions, thoughts? Please reply to this thread to post them here, in the OnPlus community.