Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE probe TCL script database

Plinio Brandao
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, okay?

I was thinking of a possibility to use my ACE to monitor a database, in this case a MySQL database Today I use a TCP probe, monitoring the port, but I would go one step further and try to make a connection in the DATABASE.

I would like to see the possibility of a guideline in creating a TCL script to make a simple connection to a database.

The idea is to try to make a connection in a database, run a query / select on any table just to validate its functionality and not just checking if the port is responding.

I do not know how complex it is or what would be my pre -requisites required, but any help would be welcome.

I thought about using an HTTP probe to make this validation and use a web page making the connection to the database, but it ended up creating another layer and if there is any problem in web service, the database would be affected indirectly.

Thank you. All suggestions are welcome.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher Miles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Plinio,

I cannot see any support for testing authentication, SQL queries or connections to a database that is supported directly in TCL at this time.

Here is the TCL guide that expalains the supported commands ( there is a HTTP example probe at the bottom )

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/ace_appliances/vA4_2_0/configuration/slb/guide/script.html

Beyond a TCL TCP probe to the port to test the listener is running, I believe your suggestion of a HTTP TCL script is probably the most accurate way to check the integrity of the database. You could write code to set a certain response to all types of failure scenarios and on the ACE you could then use a HTTP TCL script to parse the response from the web server to identify exactly what has failed in your database and act accordingly.

cheers,

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Christopher Miles
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Plinio,

I cannot see any support for testing authentication, SQL queries or connections to a database that is supported directly in TCL at this time.

Here is the TCL guide that expalains the supported commands ( there is a HTTP example probe at the bottom )

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/ace_appliances/vA4_2_0/configuration/slb/guide/script.html

Beyond a TCL TCP probe to the port to test the listener is running, I believe your suggestion of a HTTP TCL script is probably the most accurate way to check the integrity of the database. You could write code to set a certain response to all types of failure scenarios and on the ACE you could then use a HTTP TCL script to parse the response from the web server to identify exactly what has failed in your database and act accordingly.

cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your help. I really tried to find something for SQL, without success.

I'll try to do my probe with HTTP and TCP, using HTTP to check the integrity of the database. After some tests, I'll post the results.

Thank you very much.

Hi Plinio,

I will love to see what you've developed here.

I'm having a smiliar challenge to ensure that MySQL is available not only on a TCP port level before sending connection attempts.

Regards

Philip