cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a url filtering solution advice (ASA5520 - ASA-SSM-10)

Shannon Sutter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to find the best url filtering solution for our network.

We have a ASA5520 with an ASA-SSM-10 module connected to a 30mb DIA. We are trying to cut access to a number of web sites.

The experience I've had in the past when enabled the url filtering on one of our 7204 routers was no good. I remembered in and out traffic really slowed down because of this (I can't remembering if the inspection was taking too long or the traffic processing). I also remembered opening a TAC because of this and the answer was to disabled it and look for a Websense server solution.

I would appreciate if anyone out there with our same devices has something up and running without issues.

Please let me know what are the best options I can go with without negative side effects.

Thanks in advance.

10 Replies 10

Deepak Khemani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

URL Filetring on router without external server is only meant for a small list of web sites. Filtering requires lot computing power and hence italways advisable to have an external web filter  to block large number of sites. Also external filter gives u various solid reporting options whioch are not provided by router itself.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Deepak Khemani

So what would be the best solution to address url filtering knowing we currently have an ASA5520 with IPS.

Hi Zeek,

For URL filtering you can either use a CSC-SSM module or a web sense toa complish this. I agree with Deepak that having devices like these would benefit better reporting than a router and also the scalablity option.

Here is the CSC release notes:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/ps6823/product_data_sheet0900aecd80402e4f_ps6120_Products_Data_Sheet.html

This would help you in reaching a decision.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

your posted link doesn't work.

no it doesn't

Here's the pdf then

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Thank you

No Problem

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Ronald Nutter
Level 1
Level 1

have used Smartfilter & Ironport WSA. Smart filter might be more affordable but I think you will like Ironport Web Security Appliance.

Ron

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: