Views
Helpful
Replies

AutoInstall on the switch

ling20125
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

It seems like I can't get the "Would you like to terminate AutoInstall" message on the switch when I reloaded it with no config. Any ideas? Is this feature not supported on the switch, or do I need a specific command to enter this mode? I'm running a 3560 with 12.2(58)SE. Thanks.

Regards,

Angela

20 Replies 20

garapoglou
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Is the switch connected to the network before reloading it?

Best regards,

Giorgos

Yes, it's connected to the network and all configurations, including VLAN.DAT, are erased. But I doubt if it has anything to do with network connectivity.

Regards,

Angela

The Autoinstall process begins when a networking device that does not have any files in its NVRAM is connected to the network. It needs network connectivity to work.

Regards,

Giorgos

Hi,

i don't know why it doesn't launch but you can still run it manually:

SW-3560#setup

--- System Configuration Dialog ---

Continue with configuration dialog? [yes/no]: yes

Regards,

-Guillaume

Hi,

Autoinstall and Setup are two different things. Autoinstall loads configuration files automatically while Setup provides guidance to configure a device for the first time.

If you want to enter the system configuration dialog (setup) you can also switch to configuration-register 4142:

config t

config-reg 4142

exit

reload

But this is different than Autoinstall.

Best regards,

Giorgos

Hi Giorgos,

you're right I missunderstood

But by the way i tried the command:

Switch(config)#conf-reg 4142

but it doesn't exist and i havn't found the equivalent command furthermore if i do a sh version, my configuration register is 0xF. So That's wired i'll investigate on it later.

Regards,

-Guillaume

Oops, my mistake!

This command is used only on routers and the configuration register used to clear is 2142, not 4142 which is a typo.

Sorry about that.

The correct command used on switches, is the one you said in your previous message.

Thanks for the correction!

Giorgos

Hi Guillame,

I see that message "Continue with configuration dialog?", but the message I want is "Do you wish to continue with AutoInstall?". Which should pop up after saying no at the dialog

Regards,

Angela

Is there a DHCP server connected to the network? Besides network connectivity, Autoinstall feature, needs DHCP connectivity as well.

Regards,

Giorgos

CSCO11832637
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I tried with my 3560 and here is the result:

-Erase startup

-delete flash:vlan.dat

-reload

Model                        SW Version  

----------------                  -------------------              

WS-C3560-24PS         12.2(50)SE5               

Press RETURN to get started!

*Mar  1 00:00:37.396: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to down

*Mar  1 00:00:59.433: %SYS-5-RESTART: System restarted --

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Compiled Tue 28-Sep-10 13:21 by prod_rel_team

*Mar  1 00:01:30.437: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan1, changed state to up

*Mar  1 00:01:42.626: AUTOINSTALL: Vlan1 is assigned 10.x.x.86

*Mar  1 00:01:52.633: AUTOINSTALL: Obtain tftp server address (opt 150) 10.x.x.66

*Mar  1 00:01:52.633: AUTOINSTALL: Obtain default router (opt 3) 10.x.x.1

%Error opening tftp://10.x.x.66/network-confg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://10.x.x.66/cisconet.cfg (Timed out)

So i havn't seen the "Would you like to terminate AutoInstall" message but it run by itself quickly if i don't touch anything. At least we know the normal behavior now.

Do you have this behavior too?

-Guillaume

Hi,

@Giorgos: Yes, there is a Windows 2008 acting as the DHCP server on the network (although not on the same subnet, I have configured the router with helper-address command). And for this scope, I have set the TFTP server (option 150 I believe) and the bootfile name (option 60 something, I believe).

@Guillame: I'm not sure I have seen this message when the switch boots up with an empty configuration though. However, I may not be paying attention. I will update with new information.

Regards,

Angela

Angela,

Have you verified the DHCP scope is working on that subnet? Have you checked it on another device of that subnet, a PC for example?

Regards,

Giorgos

Yes, there is an AP using the same scope, and it's working fine (registered at the WLC and available with show cdp neighbors)

Regards,

Angela

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It seems like I can't get the "Would you like to terminate AutoInstall" message on the switch when I reloaded it with no config.

In enable mode, type "setup" and see what happens.

Hmmmm ... 12.2(58)SE ... Do you want to try using Zero-Touch Smart Install?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco