cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with setting up multiple subnets

wikipk821
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys i am new to this forum and i am setting up my home lab to practice and play around.

I have VMWARE ESXi environment with two workstations as my servers.

I would like to setup two domains with two domain controllers  but i want each domain to have its own subnet.

So this is my setup. I have Cable modem from cablevision , thay connects to my router which is Apple Airport which acts as the DHCP server. DNS server

and default gateway. The network on the router is 10.0.1.xThen i have two switches . One is a 5 port unmanaged switch that connects to the three physical desktops .

Then i have a Cisco small business switch SG200-08 that connects to my ESX servers and NAS. Now currently all is good and working but like i said all my machines physical or virtual get an IP that is 10.0.1.x and they get all this from the router. And i think i can setup two domains with two

domain controllers without an issue and they will all get an IP address of 10.0.1.x. This is all good but i want to have one domain on one subnet and other on another so for example one domain will have 10.0.1.x and other 10.0.2.x. I am just not sure what i need to to  get this setup like this. I know my SG200-08 supports vlans and i am pretty sure on the apple router you can only have one subnet i think. So can i do this with my current setup by setting up a DHCP server with two scopes ? or some other way? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sam,

Your switch is only a layer 2 switch. Reference  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/OL-22849-01.pdf

which states on page 211 "The switch operates as a Layer 2 VLAN-aware switch, and has no routing

capabilities. The 200 Series switches do not have Layer 3 capabilities"

I suggest getting yourself an inexpensive Layer 3 switch - a used 3560 should suit your needs quite well. If that is too much cost, even an older model would do. A Layer 3 switch will allow you to setup not only VLANs but also switch virtual interfaces (SVIs) which can act the the gateways between your two server VLANs and the 'upstream' Apple Airport gateway to the internet.

So the connections would look something like this:

airport <---> port on L3 switch defined in vlan 100 with 10.0.1.x static IP address created as int Vlan 100

server a <---> port on L3 switch defined in vlan 200 with 10.0.2.1 static IP address created as int Vlan 200

server b <---> port on L3 switch defined in vlan 300 with 10.0.3.1 static IP address created as int Vlan 300

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help first. And i guess even setting up a DHCP server and let that handle DHCP with multiple scopes wont

work either as to route between two subnets i would have to have  a L3. Now like i said i am setting up ESX servers and

for vmotion , i would like my VMs to be connected through gigabit switch. I do have some old Cisco routers. Like 3 or 4 of

them. Can i make use of them in this case?

Yes,

Your switch even appears to support trunking so a router with a single physical interface and a subinterface (logical) for each of the multiple VLANs would do the job.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: