cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client Stuck in DHCP_REQD state

ThomasPemberton
Level 1
Level 1

User is connecting to 5508, running 7.0.116.0.  Previously worked on another AP.  TV (client) is set to use dhcp.  As other posts have mentioned, "DHCP Addr. Assignment" checkbox is not checked for this wlan, but I also switched it to Required for this wlan but it did not make any difference.  Seems to be a problem with just this client as many other clients are on this AP with no problems.

Users have to register their MAC to get on our wireless system, but there is no encyption or security enabled once the device has been registered. 

See attached logs, let me know if you need any more info on my setup!

Thanks

~Tom

34 Replies 34

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

In the first debug that I looked at, the WLC has no indication that the client is sending a DHCP Discover/Request.

We see it pending dhcp (DHCP_REQD does not mean the wlan has dhcp required, it means we are waiting to learn the clients address).

Anyhow, if this is an Open Wlan (no encryption at all?)  then I can't think of any reason we wouldn't be missing the dhcp request, unless the client wasn't sending it....

I'll try to dig deeper in the logs later tonight to see if anything else is odd....    Any chance rebooting the TV does any good?

I unplugged the TV for a few minutes and started it back up when I was testing, no luck... I'm new to my job and still learning but from reading through Cisco's documentation I came to the conclusion too that it was never even getting to the point of making a DHCP request...  I let the first log run for a while and noticed at the end it just seems to be looping through the same few steps over and over...  I am going to do some more testing tomorrow with that client and putting another wlan on that AP, try to narrow down some more what is the problem.  After reading through some other similar posts it seems like some people narrowed it down to certain wireless chipsets in devices...not sure what this one is in the TV...

Do you have a firewall between these two devices? Does the apple tv screen sit on "setting time" ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

No firewall, it is a Vizio brand TV with wireless (for netflix, hulu, etc)

larnelhight
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have Client Band Select checked?  I had a similar problem and had to uncheck it until the manufacturer released newer network drivers.  This was for a Mac Pro.

Client band select is not enabled on this WLAN

The last issue I had with an apple tv was that the dam thing wanted to go out to the internet and get NTP time.

What is your security again ? None right ?

All other clients work fine right ..

TV is SET FOR DHCP, right?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Once the MAC is registered on our system, we have no encryption, webauth, etc on our wireless.  When I was testing this there was about 10 other clients on the AP with no problems.  TV was set for DHCP.

debugging a client that works, it seems to break at the very last step of the PEM, sending an XID frame...on the client that works :

*pemReceiveTask: Sep 02 11:30:12.577: 00:19:d2:6b:0c:f4 0.0.0.0 Added NPU entry of type 9, dtlFlags 0x0

*pemReceiveTask: Sep 02 11:30:12.577: 00:19:d2:6b:0c:f4 Sent an XID frame

*DHCP Socket Task: Sep 02 11:30:13.606: 00:19:d2:6b:0c:f4 DHCP received op BOOTREQUEST (1) (len 308,vlan 27, port 13, encap 0xec03)

broken client:

*pemReceiveTask: Sep 01 15:18:19.646: 00:19:9d:6a:09:6d 0.0.0.0 Added NPU entry of type 9, dtlFlags 0x0

*pemReceiveTask: Sep 01 15:18:19.646: 00:19:9d:6a:09:6d 0.0.0.0 Added NPU entry of type 9, dtlFlags 0x0

*apfMsConnTask_4: Sep 01 15:18:32.812: 00:19:9d:6a:09:6d Association received from mobile on AP 8c:b6:4f:c8:b1:90

(loops back to start of process)

So the broken client stops right as asscoaition received and nothing else comes after that ?

What are your PHY rates set at ... what is mandatory and supported ?

probably a dumb question, but where would i check that?

no worries ... we are here to help ..

On the WLC main page ... click on wireless... then on the left you will see 802.11b/g/n (bottom lower one). Then click on network ... take a sreen shot of that for me ..

I dont know if this is your issue, BUT we could try it ... Make 1 mandatory... and 5.5 supported and see what happens.

Also, can you do a complete debug from the Apple TV ...

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: