UCCX Redundant AXL Service Providers

Unanswered Question
Sep 6th, 2011

According to the CUCM 7/8/8.5 help file system and CCO, the Cisco AXL Web Service is supposed to enabled on the first node (publisher) only.

Is this the same node that the UCCX 7/8/8.5 is supposed to be homed against?

If it is not activated and started, it definately does not show up on CUCM nodes via a utils service list as [Started].

I see that others in this forum have specified other nodes so I am trying to figure out how they did this and if it is supported that way.

Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Anthony Holloway Tue, 09/06/2011 - 18:38

I have been told be TAC on several ocassions that only the publisher node needs to be in the list, and if you were to specify another server on top of the pub, UCCX, via AXL, will determine the pub and only connect to it anyway.

What's the main role of the pub: db and cluster master, right?  And AXL is DB modifications, right?  Then only use the pub in the list.

Aaron Harrison Wed, 09/07/2011 - 02:01

I don't agree... If you don't have multiple AXL servers configured in UCCX, try turning off the publisher.

- No one will be able to log in

- Stuff will go out of service within a short period of time

Yes, the publisher is the DB master and is the only fully writeable server, but the other servers are still able to perform authentication and respond to other queries.

You can write changes via AXL to any server; it's similar to configuring the system via CCMAdmin on a subscriber. Can you do it? Yep. Does it actually write changes to the subscriber? Nope, they get written to the pub and replicated back.

Configuring multiple AXL providers is the only way to have real CUCM resilience. In my opinion Cisco should have modified the appadmin initial install wizard to allow multiple servers to be configured for this (as with the RM/JT services) as no one ever goes back and properly reconfigures this setting - the wizard just asks for a the publisher details.

I think a lot of the confusion around this is throwback from the dark days of Windows CUCM with DC Directory. With those systems the pub HAD to be first, and you would usually add a sub as a secondary.

Aaron

hoahuynh Mon, 09/12/2011 - 05:04

"In my opinion Cisco should have modified the appadmin initial install  wizard to allow multiple servers to be configured for this (as with the  RM/JT services) as no one ever goes back and properly reconfigures this  setting - the wizard just asks for a the publisher details."

I am fairly certain this can be done on version 8.x and 5.x/7.x once you get to the Jtapi/RMCM user setup page.

Anyhow I don't believe the rule of homing it to the PUB is applicable any more assuming that was in the guides at all, don't recall too well.

As Aaron stated without getting a backup AXL, assuming your PUB goes down the system is usless and dead in the water as there is no user authentication and RP/CTI ports would all be unregistered.

If you refer to the HAoWAN guide it acutally states to point each respective node to their local CUCM box.

So that rule alone would break the assumption it has to be pointed at the PUB.

Long story short, yes home it to its respective call manager depending on your setup, PUB or SUB are fine.

Hoai

Aaron Harrison Mon, 09/12/2011 - 05:23

Hi

I am fairly certain this can be done on version 8.x and 5.x/7.x once you get to the Jtapi/RMCM user setup page.

Yep - just checked and it does appear in v8.0. Eating my words mmmm....

Aaron

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted September 6, 2011 at 5:41 PM
Stats:
Replies:4 Avg. Rating:5
Views:2062 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content

Discussions Leaderboard