Views
Helpful
Replies

Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter - Windows 7 64 bit

Pvnskc1983
Level 1
Level 1

Some details about the issue.

I'm trying to connect to my client's network using VPN Client version 5.0.07.0290. The user authetication is done by providing RSA SecureID token value. After entering proper credentials, the client window gets struck at 'Securing Communication Channels...' message in status bar and reports 'Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter' error after few mintues. I have confirmed that this version works for other people in my team , so I'm guessing it has something to do with my system settings than the client itself.

Below are the trobleshooting tips that I have already tried.

1. Uninstall and Reinstall the client.

2. Enable WinXP SP2 compatability for ipsecdialer.exe and vpngui.exe.

3. Clicking 'Diagnose' on the Citrix Virtaul Adapter connection in Networks and Sharing centre, reports no issues.

4. Enabling Network sharing for Local Area Network and disaling Wireless Networks

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Enterpise OS.

Appreciate any suggestions to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

PVNSKC

Update: 9/7/2011

OK, things look much better after a good vacation, always!!!

I tried to connect today by reinstalling the client after a weekend shutdown (I don't believe the cold reboot stuff, but hey, worth a try! ) and it did work. The only change I did today was to disable the Wireless Connection adapter in Networks Connections. I'm not sure whether that fixed or not cause I had tried that already. Anyway, below is my current configuration which is working for now!

1. Below executables are running in the XP compatability mode.

cvpnd.exe, VAInst64.exe, vpngui.exe

2. Local Area Connection is allowed for 'Sharing'

3.  Registry is updated with below entry.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

4. Wireless Connection is disabled.

Thank you all for the responses.

PVNSKC

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Margresse
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same problem. Here's what I did to make it work:

Start-> Run-> services.msc *Enter*

Look for Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in the list. Doubleclick.

Change startup type to Disabled.

Below Service Status, press Stop.

Then press Ok, to close dialog. Restart VPN client, and it worked again this time. Woohoo.

View solution in original post

43 Replies 43

Parminder Sian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Duplicate IP Address Triggers Error 442 on Windows 7 and Vista

The following error "Reason 442: failed to enable virtual adapter"  appears after Windows 7 and Vista reports a duplicate IP address  detected. Subsequent connections fail with same message, but the OS does  not report a duplicate IP address detected.

To work around error 442, do the following steps:

Step 1 Open "Network and Sharing Center".

Step 2 Select "Manage Network Connections".

Step 3 Enable the Virtual Adapter ("VA"—Cisco VPN Adapter).

Step 4 Right-click on Cisco VPN Adapter and select "Diagnose" from the context menu.

Step 5 Select "Reset the network adapter Local Area Connection X".

If this procedure does not work, run the following command from cmd:

reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Then reboot.

This resolves the issue until the OS reports a duplicate IP address again. Follow the preceding steps to resolve it again.

If that doesn't work, you might have UAC enabled. If so, you must run  cmd as administrator and repeat the previous registry workaround.

NOTE: You mentioned step 4 already, try the whole sequence again, if the steps does not work then try the registry key.

Hope this helps,

Sian

Parminder Sian,

Thanks for your reply.

I have re-tried the steps in the same order mentioned above, however, I don't see a option 'Reset network adpter.... ' upon clicking on Diagnose. It just returns that there were no issues found. I have also added the Registry entry mentioned above using the Admin privilages. Now, when I rebooted the machine and tried to connect again. It errors out with 'Error 56: The Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN Service has been not started. Please start this service and try again'. I see that this service is set to start Automatically but not started. So, I did start it manually. When I try to run the vpngui.exe again, the serivce is stopped and the same error is returned.

Are there any other suggestions to try out? 

Thanks,

PVNSKC

Hi

I can report exactly the same problem. I've had this problem for quite a while but as PVNSKC reports, I don't see any reset option when diagnosing he connection. Nor did the registry change work. After reboot, I still have exactly the same issue. Same version, 5.0.07.0290.

It will probably work tomorrow, and possibly after several reboots and/or powering off/on, but it's extremely persistent whenever it does happen.

Let me know if I can help with analysis.

Another thing, when I shut down (sleep or hibernate) my laptop without disconnecting the VPN connection first, the problem is more likely to occurr.

After that, it may work once or twice, but after that, it will seem to work, but there's no internet and the diagnose dialog will report that there's no DNS.

And after that, it will show the 442 problem again. And as I said before, it's extremely hard to get it working again. This morning, after having the problem last night, it's still impossible to connect. And I *really* need to get some work done today...

I had the same problem as you guys and followed all the same troubleshooting steps.  What fixed it for me was checking for inernet sharing on each of my connections.  I was tinkering around with sharing my blackberry's internet connection with a local router and needed to enable this to get it to work.  Of course i forgot all about it and I started having problems with my vpn.  Once I unchecked this option on the connection i created it worked first time no problem.  Give it a shot.

My issue seems to pop up every time there is a windows update install. For this go around, I wound up re-installing (not fixing) the client, then going to virtual adapter-->> selecting the sharing option-->> apply-->> go back in and uncheck-->> apply-->> restart just for sport-->> launch client.

That worked last night and is still fine today.

Hi-

I have Windows 7 running VPN Client 5.0.07.0290 on a Dell laptop. I get the Reason 442 error. I have tried all of the fixes that I can find on the internet, as listed below. I still get the error.

1. Disabled ICS (stopped VPN, disabled ICS, restarted VPN)

2. reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters /v ArpRetryCount /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

3. restarted VPN network adapter

after each of these I have rebooted the computer and it still does not fix the error.

I also have made sure that the cvpnd.exe, VAInst64.exe, vpngui.exe are all in XP compatability mode (SP3 or SP2 - neither fixes it).

What else can I try?  I have another computer at home using the SAME modem, with Windows 7, and the VPN works just fine. I'm very frustrated so would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

akivadotan
Level 1
Level 1

Let me add to this somewhat old thread that I was running into this exact problem with an employee's Win 7 laptop.  Like in Walter's and Michael's cases, the solution for me was to break a NIC share.  I am not sure why the wireless adapter on her laptop was shared to begin with but unchecking the Share option for the wireless NIC seems to have done the trick.

I hope that helps.

I met the same problem, sometimes when we established a private wireless network probably enable the Internet Connection Sharing, this would cause the error "Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter - Windows 7 64 bit" on VPN client.

Thanks akivadotan.

Thanks, I just stop the service

internet connection sharing and then it is working.

I was having the same issue. When I unchecked the "share" option, the VPN client started working again. Thanks for the help! smiley

I had that problem with windows 7 32bit with cisco vpn client v 5.0.0.7...

to fix it, I just stop the service

internet connection sharing ics service

/ and remove the startup option.

then I restart my computer and it was working.

denisyao1981
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

the solution below helps me out of this trouble, i know it is for Win8 but you may try for the luck.

http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000693.htm

This worked for me! Thanks!

Short version:

RegEdit- go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Services>CVirtA

Edit: DisplayName value from

this: @oem38.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco VPN ...

to this: Cisco VPN ...

Basically removing the OEM variable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: