Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Cisco Telepresence System

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Andrew Beezley

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to ask Cisco subject matter expert Andrew Beezley troubleshooting questions regarding the Cisco TelePresence System, from the CTS 500 to the CTS 3210.  Andrew has offered global support for the Cisco TelePresence System for nearly two years at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center and for more than three years before that with the Cisco Remote Management Service (RMS) team. He has been with Cisco for over 11 years, and his experience includes working with foundation WAN technology with major telephone companies to identify and repair systemic problems as quickly as possible.

Remember to use the rating system to let Andrew know if you have received an adequate response. 

Andrew might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video, discussion forum shortly after the event.  This event lasts through September 23, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

15 Replies 15

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Andrew,

First of all I just want to thank CSC to give us the chance to ask and discuss some Cisco Telepresence topics directly with the experts,

I have couple of questions regarding communications between Cisco CTS systems registered to CUCM and cisco end points registered to VCS(formerly Tandberg)

- can we have these systems to communicat directly with out using interop ? If yes what versions required and is there any services need to be in place to get this working

- interop can be using cuvc, mxe or tp server using tip protocol,  is there any design and config guide of interop using tp server ?

- I believe booking with OBTP is still supported by CTS-Man only ? Can OBTP feature work now on Ex90, and C series endpoints registered to CUCM or vcs ?

Thanks And Regards,

Marwan

Hello Marwan - Thank you for the post.  Unfortunately, this forum is specific to the CTS portfolio of Telepresence endpoints.  You may be able to get a better answer to your questions by posting to the general TelePresence forum that includes interoperability support  (https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/collaboration-voice-video/telepresence).  However, a quick answer is yes, you are now able to register VCS endpoints directly to a Unfified Communications Manager node/cluster and make direct calls without the use of an interop medium suchs as a CUVC or TIP blade.  However, this is only for point-to-point calls at this time.  The minimum requirements for this to work, is all CTS endpoints need to be on at least CTS version 1.7.4 and the UCM must be on at least version 8.5.1 to support native and direct interop calling.  For a complete list of supported endpoints and additional information, please see the reference link below.

Reference Material:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_5_1/delta/delta.html#wp1887018

Cisco TelePresence Manager supports call  scheduling and one-button-to-push calling across the entire endpoint  portfolio, with the Cisco TelePresence System Series (CTS), Cisco  TelePresence System EX Series (EX Series), Cisco TelePresence System C  Series (C Series), Cisco TelePresence System Profile Series (Profile  Series) and Cisco TelePresence MX200. 

NOTE: The EX, C Series, Profile Series and MX200 will need to be running TC5.0 (minimim) for the OBTP feature to work on those endpoints.

Reference Material:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps8329/ps8331/ps7074/product_data_sheet0900aecd805455ff.html

I hope this information helps to some extent.  You can always post this directly to the Global TelePresence discussion for more information if needed.

Kind regards,

-Andrew

Message was edited by: Andrew Beezley

Thanks Andrew

This is all what I wanted to know

Regards,

Marwan

Hi Andrew,

Can you put some light on TIP? What is the purpose of the protocol, what is the main benefit/disadvantage, can you compare it with RTCP or SIP, what is the future of TIP... I tried to find good document about It but no luck.

Can you also confirm that every CTS endpoint speaks TIP?

Thanks,

Tenaro

Hello Tenaro - Glad to hear from you, hope you are doing well.  To  answer your question, TIPs primary purpose is to give you the ability to  conduct Interoperable TelePresence calls with multi-screen endpoints  and multiple streams.  I would say that is the main benefit of TIP is  the ability to get through NAT and Firewalls as well as leverage  existing Video Conferencing infrastructure.  A disadvantage would be  that it's non-standard meaning, TIP has been released to the IETF and  IMTC so that the "public" can manage it.  This though, may not  necessarily be a bad thing.  All Cisco TelePresence Endpoints as of  CTS 1.6.5 release supports TIP.  These endpoints are the 500, 1000, 1100, 1300, 3000, 3010, 3200 and 3210).

Check out this Q&A link below, this has some additional information regarding TIP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps8329/ps8331/ps7315/q_a_c67-580285.html

International Multimedia Telecommunications Consortium blog on TIP:

http://blog.imtc.org/index.php/tip/

Additonal info:

http://www.slideshare.net/imtcorg/4-tip-imtc-tp-workshop-061510

Let me know if this answers your question and / or if there is some additoinal information you are looking for.'

Kind regards,

-Andrew

Thanks for the reply Andrew,

I've checked the links and prepared a list of questions that will help me really understand TIP:

1) Is TIP just a temporary solution, as it is mentioned in the slidedeck from the link you provided? (quote: "imediate interoperability with Cisco WHILE working on an industry standard")

2) Is TIP on the roadmap for other Cisco videoendpoints (like devices from Tandberg portfolio)?

3) Can you compare TIP with BFCP or ICE? Seems to me that same functionality can be achived with ICE and would like to know if TIP has some advantages.

4) Will middle-call services work for calls using TIP?

5) Is CUCM 8.6 able to speak TIP? Can we establish calls between CTS 3000 and standard SIP (or H.323) video endpoint via CUCM or some additional box like CTMS is mandatory?

6) Can you compare CTMS with Telepresence Server and/or MXE 5600?

Thanks,

Tenaro

Hello Tenaro - I apologize for the long delay in getting back to  you on this post.  Though I appreciate your questions regarding  TelePresence Interoperability Protocol, this forum is geared more  towards troubleshooting with existing deployment problems.  May I  suggest forwarding your questions to your account team who can better  answer these types of questions to help you understand TIP.

Q: Is TIP just a temporary solution, as it is  mentioned in the  slidedeck from the link you provided? (quote:  "imediate interoperability  with Cisco WHILE working on an industry  standard"). 

A: This in my opinion is subjective, as one person may  want to deploy their TelePresence infrastructure in a manner that  utilizes TIP and continue to conduct business that way while another  person may want to use it as a stepping stone until they have upgraded  their infrastructure to allow for the direct provisioning and  registration of some of the formerly TANDBERG product portfolio line  with Unified Communications Manager.  Endpoints such as the EX series,  the C-Series and the Profile series will be able to register directly  with UCM (opposed to a VCS or gatekeeper) and you can make direct  Interop Point-to-Point calls with a CTS endpoint.  This is opposite of  Native Interoperability calls that require third party endpoints to  register with VCS.  Note, CTS endpoints must be running at least 1.7.4  and registered with UCM 8.5.1 minimum for Native Interop calls.  Direct  provisioning and registration to UCM on the EX, C-Series and Profile  Series will be supported in UCM release 8.6.1 and the MX200 is targeted  for the 8.6.2 release. 

* You will also need to run TC5 on the Cisco EX,  C-Series, etc to allow provisioning and registration to UCM 8.6 and  complete a direct interop point-to-point call.

Q: Is TIP on the roadmap for other Cisco videoendpoints (like devices from Tandberg portfolio)?

A: Yes, see previous question (above).

Q: Can you compare TIP with BFCP or ICE? Seems to me that  same  functionality can be achived with ICE and would like to know if  TIP has  some advantages.

A: This question should be directed toward your  account team to better list out the advantages and disadvantages between  TIP or an alternative protocol.

Q: Will middle-call services work for calls using TIP?

A: Are you referring to features with Interworking  calls such as Hold/Resume, or Hook Flash for a second dial tone?  This  may also be a question you want to direct to your account team.

Q:  Is CUCM 8.6 able to speak TIP? Can we establish calls between CTS 3000   and standard SIP (or H.323) video endpoint via CUCM or some additional   box like CTMS is mandatory?

A: Yes, TIP is supported in 8.6 release.  TIP support started in UCM release 8.5.1.

Q: Can you compare CTMS with Telepresence Server and/or MXE 5600?

A:  This should question should be directed to your account team to provide  you with the comparison and feature specification differences you are  seeking however, here are a few of the comparisons:

The  CTMS is a server blade where MXE 5600 is a scalable and modular  system.  The modules are hot-swapable, so if a module does fail, you can  simple swap in a new one.  If the CTMS fails, the entire MCU is down  until you can get a replacement unit.  The CTMS is considered to be in  the MCU family whereas the Cisco MXE 5600 is a Media-Processing Platform. This allows for "any media to any endpoint anywhere."  The  Cisco  MXE 5600 encompasses capabilities of other product categories  such as  transcoders, media gateways, and MCUs in order to connect  multiple video  applications together and, in addition, add value to the  media being  processed.  Both the CTMS and 8710 TelePresence Server  offer 1080p High Definition Video capability where the MXE 5600 allows  up to 90 720P Video streams (30 720p legs per MPM & up to 3 MPM blades per chassis).  The CTMS gives you 48 segments per CTMS.  A CTS 1000 endpoint takes 1 segment where a CTS 3200 takes 3 segments (4 if you have a Presentation codec).  You can mix Cisco  TelePresence Server capabilities with gateway and recording capabilities  in the same chassis.  You cannot do that with the CTMS or MXE 5600.   The 8710 also allows for ActivePresence which gives you a full-screen  immersive view of the primary speakers with a seamless overlay of others  in the call.

There are a plethera of feautres packed  into the CTMS, MXE 5600 and TS 8710.  I invite you to view the Data  Sheets below for each product.

TelePresence Server 8710:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps7060/ps11305/ps11317/ps11339/data_sheet_c78-626140_ps11340_Products_Data_Sheet.html

MXE 5600:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10588/products_data_sheets_list.html

Cisco TelePresence Multipoint Switch:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7315/products_data_sheets_list.html

Kind regards,

-Andrew

Arbenjamin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew,

Nice to meet you.

We are facing the problem in CTS-1300 in the upgrading firmware from 1.6.4 to 1.7.

In our lab environment, we have CUCM with 8.0, CTS-500 and CTS-1300.

We are using the same upgrading step for both CTS-500 and CTS-1300( with MIDlet 1.7) ,as a result, the CTS-500 and its IP phone is upgraded successfully. However, the CTS-1300 codec is upgraded successfully, but the IP Phone show a error message" Cannot make or receive call, contact live desk for assistance.

We have checked the Midlet file version is same for CTS-500 and CTS-1300.

Thank you,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thank you for the post. The message you are seeing proves that MIDLets are working but are telling you on behalf of the CTS that CTS is unregistered from CUCM.

If nothing has changed in CUCM or CTS config I would simply try first forcing the re-regitration of CTS to CUCM by doing "utils service restart Calling_Services" via CLI or eventually rebooting CTS.

Kind Regards,

Antonio.

Hi antigles,

Thank for kindly reply.

We have tried both soft and hard reboot the CTS-1300 codec, however, the problem still exist. Also, we have configured the CTS Auto Answer in the CUCM, and the CTS1300 can't receive any video call.

Our Cts-1300 system is not completely installed, for example, we just install the central camera. Is it the reason for IP Phone to display such error?

Thanks,

Ben

Hello Ben - with CTS 1300 (1.7) release, you must have all peripherals connected in order for the CTS to fully boot up.  If you do not (for example if you have not connected the Audio/Video Expansion Box) to the master codec, the start up process will fail to complete.  This will result in the message "Cannot make or receive call, contact live desk for assistance."  Are you still seeing this message?  You should have all three camera's connected (both Video and Ethernet for each camera).  All Positional and Table-Top microphones should be connected to the A/V Expansion box with exception of the Center Table-Top microphone that connects to the Master Codec.  If you have a presentation codec (second slave codec) in this 1300 make sure it is configured in UCM Device Configuration.  If the Presentation Codec is checked / enabled from UCM, make sure it's connected appropriately (using the installation guide).

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the wiring of a CTS 1300 or anything else that may help isolate the fault and restore this unit for you.

Kind regards,

-Andrew

jtorres42
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew, Nice to meet you.

I need to help you, about to IP Phone 7965g.

My question is if this device has compatibility with Asterisk PBXs.

If there is this compatibility, I thank you if I can provide documentation for the respective settings, since this OS came with me to plant Cisco, and I could not access your configuration.

I'm aware to your early response.

Thanks for attention

Hello John - Nice to meet you as well.  Thank you for your question.  If I read and understood the question correctly, you want to know if the Cisco IP Phone 7965G is compatible with Digium's Asterisk PBX.  Unfortunately,  I do not know the answer to this question off hand and it may be best for you to direct your question to Digium support to determine if they have certified this specific SIP based IP Phone to operate on their platform.  A few links i've listed below I hope are helpful for you.

Digium Support Forum:

http://forums.digium.com/

List of SIP based Desktop Phones:

http://www.asteriskexchange.com/listings/category/10

Digium indicates that you can use any SIP based IP Phone (including Cisco's product line) on their home-edition IP PBX:

http://www1.digium.com/en/products/switchvox/support/switchvox-home-edition

If you'd like, you can also try directing your question to the IP Telephony support group at the link below to see if they have come across a similar type of request.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/collaboration-voice-video/ip-telephony

Kind regards,

-Andrew

Arbenjamin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andrew,

I have some problem in upgrade the cucm version from 8.0 to 8.6,  we have found some support document in cisco.com, however, it is not clear in the step.

I would like to know which file is essential in the upgrading process? (cmterm-devicepack8.6.1.21008-2.cop.sgn or

ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.0.cop.sgn)?

By the way, it is essential to have two CUCM for separate IP and CTS syste,?

Thank,

Ben

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: