cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC and WCS - Add a SSID to a few of my APs

GeneBeamer
Level 1
Level 1

I am really looking for something simple, but I can not find where out how to add an SSID to only a few of my Access Points in a building.

All I want is this SSID to use the same interfaces as a current SSID. The only difference is I want to disable P2P on this SSID.. Can someone please point me in the right direction... I am still running WCS code 7.0.164.0 and WLC code 4.2.209.0.

7 Replies 7

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Gene,

If I understand you right you want to have the ideentical SSID on the same WLC and you want to disbale P2P, correct?

If this is the case, you can not have two identical WLAN / SSIDs on a WLC. The WLC will throw an error if you try. So the short anwser is you cant do it.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I think there is a way, but the ssids will need to have different security policies.

Not something I've tried, but have batted the subject around with other engineers

If it was done that way you could have controller #1 SSID -TEST controller #2 SSID-TEST and chnage the security on each one... but i just tried to put 2 idenitcal SSID on a WLC and it throws errors

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

You can create a uniquely-named profile using the same WLAN/SSID.  It assigns a new index for the same SSID, and allows a different policy configuration.  This would have to be assigned via AP Group VLAN or (de)selected over the orignal SSID via per-AP-radio WLAN Override in 4.x.  You'd probably be better off upgrading to 6.x/7.x, where the WLAN assignment is natively group-based.

BJ great catch .. I had no idea ... I would always use the same profile thus the error ...  +5 to you sir!

w00t!  Thanks George!  

GeneBeamer
Level 1
Level 1

Let me tell you guys what I did.. I made the change via the WLC instead of WCS. I just can't seem to find things in WCS as easily as the WLC.......

Click on Wireless, Click on the A or BG radio section on the left side... Click on the drop down of the APs you want the new SSID on... Click Configure... Click VLAN override  ( I believe that is what it is called or maybe AP override ) .. .You will get a menu of all the SSIDs currently on the WLC .. Choose which ones you want the APs to use... It was actually very simple, just had to find the right location....    Thank you all for the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card