Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Too much APs in the network?

In one customer other company has put a lot of APs to get coberture in one office enviroment.  Each 10 meter (more or less) they've put an AP.

The AP is the model 1141N.

Do you think may be any problem?

We have to go to certify the installation despite not having made ​​the study of wireless network coverage.

Thanks

13 Replies 13

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It could be, yes. An active survey would be recommened. A lot of things can play into this like TX power, placement, density ect ...

Are you fimilar with how to do a survey ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I usually do site surveys for wireless networks in stores using 4 or 5 APs. It is always the same and I have some experience in the parameters of the access points for these features.

With so many access points I have never done a site survey

Did they lay out the 10 meters in a grid fashion

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

what is this deployment for?  Accurate Locatin Tracking, Voice, or just pure data?

Was a site survey done prior to the AP installation?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

It's an office so they want to use with PCs and VoIP.

No site survey.

Voip... I would be careful. If it was just data and you had RRM I would roll the dice. Perhaps after its installed do a passive survey with AirMagnet and see what it looks like.

yes, something like this.  It's possible more than 10m. but they've decide the number of APs and the situation before put the walls

Interesting.

Sounds like a hospital deployment.  What data rates are being provided?  You did clip the lower rates right?

there is always monitor mode

You're right.  And you know in this kind of buildings there's interferences and heavy walls.

Monitor mode?  What do you want to say?

Thanks

One thing more:

the APs are LAP-1141N, so are "Single-band Controller-based".

It will be better than stand alone?  Can this controller manage the load?

1141 means that you only have 802.11b (2.4 Ghz radio).  With three non-overlapping channels, you could be facing channel interference.  With that kind of density, it's better to use the 1142.

It would be preferable to use a controller so the the transmission power and the channels can be adjusted accordingly by the controller. 

ewood2624
Level 5
Level 5

Find out exactly which kind of clients are going to be in the environment. Turn off the lower data rates and still do an active site survey.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: