This is the situation I got to firewalls with failover and I need to upgrade the license so I can get more context (right now I have 5 context and I need 10) so I was looking at the procedure and I'm not sure If I need to restart the device or not. I was looking at this procedure:
Upgrading the License for a Failover using ASDM (No Reload Required)
Use the following procedure using ASDM if your new license does not require you to reload. This procedure ensures that there is no downtime.
- •1. On the active unit, choose Configuration > Device Management > High Availability > Failover > Setup, and uncheck the Enable Failover check box. Now click Apply. The standby unit remains in a pseudo-standby state. Deactivating failover on the active unit prevents the standby unit from attempting to become active during the period when the licenses do not match.
- •2. Choose Configuration > Device Management > Licensing > Activation Key, and enter the new activation key that you obtained with the active unit serial number. Now click Update Activation Key.
- •3. Log into the standby unit by double-clicking its address in the Device List. If the device is not in the Device List, click Add to add the device. You might be prompted for credentials to log in.
- •4. Choose Configuration > Device Management > Licensing > Activation Key, and enter the new activation key that you obtained with the standby unit serial number. Now click Update Activation Key.
- •5. Log into the active unit again by double-clicking its address in the Device List. Choose Configuration > Device Management > High Availability > Failover > Setup, and re-check the Enable Failover check box.
- •6. Click Apply. This completes the procedure.
But then I checked on the cisco web page that there are some license that need to reload I see this:
Downgrading any license (for example, going from 10 contexts to 2 contexts).
Note If a temporary license expires, and the permanent license is a downgrade, then you do not need to immediately reload the security appliance; the next time you reload, the permanent license is restored.
So I just want to know if I'm UPGRADING from 5 to 10 context the reload applies to my situation or not?