cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950, need to reset to factory defaults. Lost password.

ddemuth78
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

First off let me apologize if this question is annoying or unworthy. I am simply lost. I have no Cisco skills.

That said, I have a Catalyst 2950 switch that a 3rd party managed but I own that is no longer in use that I would like to sell. I am attempting to reset it back to factory defaults using whatever instructions i can find on the web, however when I attempt to connect to the console I get a password prompt. I have no idea what the password is and contacting the (ex)vendor is not an option. Any assistance I receive is very much appreciated.

I wish I new the basics but I don't. Frankly command line interfaces are my enemy so kudos to those who have worked hard to wrap their minds around it.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Doug,

Try doing a password recovery on the switch

have a look at this link for step-by-step instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

HTH

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Doug,

Try doing a password recovery on the switch

have a look at this link for step-by-step instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

HTH

Hello Reza,

After doing the procedure on 2950 Catalyst, the config.text file still remains in the flash memory.

How could I solve this issue?

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 109 <date> info
3 -rwx 270 <date> env_vars
4 -rwx 3834 <date> config.old
5 -rwx 5 <date> private-config.text
6 -rwx 1036 <date> vlan.dat
7 -rwx 3097872 <date> c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4.bin
8 drwx 4032 <date> html
362 -rwx 109 <date> info.ver
364 -rwx 3051 <date> config.text

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: