cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP HREAP VS WLAN HREAP

jason crockett
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a WLAN (lets call it WIFI1) that is configured for HREAP local switching. All of my APs are running in HREAP mode as well. Is there any way to run one of these access point in local mode that users can still connect to WIFI1? I tested this and it looks like you need both the WLAN and AP running in the same mode in order for clients to connect. Is this true?

13 Replies 13

pcroak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jason,

If I understand it correctly, you would like to have some of your APs in local mode so that the client traffic is tunneled back to the WLC. You can certainly accomplish this by using local AP mode.

The H-REAP local switching flag on the WLAN advanced configuration ONLY applies to APs in H-REAP mode. In other words, if you have APs in local mode, they will still service that WLAN, but traffic will be tunneled to the WLC and will use the defined controller interface that is bound to the WLAN.

-Patrick Croak

Wireless TAC

Pat hit the nail on the head. I would just like to add..

Keep in mind when you tunnel the traffic back. If you have remote sites connected via VPNs your clients in local mode will get a "central" IP address. Which in some cases may break local printing etc ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

jason crockett
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the quick updates. I was able to get this to work. I had the DHCP server misconfigured on the interface so that was causing some issues. One other question. I will be broadcasting multiple WLANs from these APs. One of the WLANs I would like to continue to keep in HREAP mode. But I have a guest WLAN that I want to switch to local mode so all traffic traverses back to the controller for the Guest WLAN. Can you have one WLAN in HREAP mode and another WLAN in local mode on the same AP? And if yes, do you change the mode within the WLAN settings?

Yes, you can.

You don't need to change the mode, just don't tell the "Guest" that it is HREAP Local Switching.  By default the AP will backhaul this traffic to the WLC.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hello,

I just have a little question to be sure: if you set up the APs in Hreap mode, and not the Wlan, the trafic will be tunneled back to the WLC ?

Thanks to you,

Regards,

No.. It will drop traffic off on the ap management vlan.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott I think you are mistaken there or misread the question.

If the AP is setup as an HREAP AP but no WLANs are set for HREAP support then all the traffic comes back to the WLC. Traffic is only left at the AP if you enabled HREAP support on the WLAN and specify a VLAN tag.

If the AP is in H-REAP and local switching is enabled on the WLAN, then the traffic is placed locally. If the AP is in H-REAP and local switching is disabled on the WLAN, then traffic is tunneled back. So when an AP is in H-REAP mode, you either specify the SSID to vlan mapping or else if not, traffic is placed on the AP management vlan. I guess I still might not get what was asked:)

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

I tought you need to enable local switching on the the Wlan to drop trafic at management port ?

In fact, I have two SSID, i would like one to be tunneled back to WLC and not the second one.

Thanks,

EDIT: our emails crossed each other

thanks to you

Well then make sure the WLAN you want tunnels back does not have local switching enabled.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Have you looked at this guide?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Ok thanks, just a little problem with a customer who claimed that a wlan with HREAP disabled didn't send back trafic to WLC...

He was so sure of himselft, i started to doubt

So we're agree.

Thanks a lots,

Just double check the config... Just in case they made any changes.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: