Level 1

Hello

Does the latest 64bit VPN Client work with Windows 8, thanks

10 Replies 10

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Neville,

Let me give you following answer - if it does work it is for sure not supported (yet?).

As far as I know there is no version of windows "8" that we are currently testing with VPN client.

Marcin

Ok thanks for the reply, I appreciate it not supported, but tried to get it working last night and failed, so I just wondered whether anyone had managed to get it working

Thanks

Same here ... I'd be interested in any progress getting a VPN client working on Windows 8

Guys,

In case you missed it. VPN client's EOL has been announced - expect no new feature, only critical bug fixes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5743/ps5699/ps2308/end_of_life_c51-680819.html

There is an internal enhancement request for windows 8 support with anyconnect, but as far as I see that has been filed recently and is still waiting for prioritization.

My suggestion - go to your SE, bother him to request this from product team ;-)

M.

I did find a solution that involved a simple regedit ... now I am using the VPN client successfully. I apologize for not having the full details at hand ... but

Cool, feel free to post the info, I do boubt however whether Cisco will claim this as supported.

Cool stuff nevertheless.

M.

The solution can be found at http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/4001-cisco-anyconnect.html

Essentially, use regedit to go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva and remove the garbage in front of "

Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual...." under the DisplayName field.

jeffmhawkins
Level 1
Level 1

This solutions works 100% for windows RELEASED version of Window 8 (not RC) as of 8/17/12

·    Open  Registry editor by typingregedit in Run prompt

·    Browse  to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA

·    Select  the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.

o    For  x86, change the value data from something  like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco  Systems VPN Adapter”

o    For  x64, change the value data from something  like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit  Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter  for 64-bit Windows”

·    Try  connecting again

jb-cisco-login
Level 1
Level 1

Yes it works even then not fully supported: please follow this link for instructions (similiar as suggest above):

http://john.bryntze.net/jbkb-v2/?p=120

I had to change from TCP to UDP to make it work better also but I think that depends on other things.

Davide Fiumi
Level 1
Level 1

You guys having any further troubles with this? I got it to work on Win 8 Ent with this fix, yet after a few connections it won't allow me to reach any devices anymore. If I do a rollback to prior-updates of Windows 8, it will work without problems.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could you give some insights?

And CISCO tech-guy, seriously, EOL for Cisco VPN Client is the most incomprehensible thing I ever heard of. At least until Anyconnect can't be considered a real, vaiable alternative. Also, what will happen with legacy people who use it?

Let me know who could I bother to get them to troubleshoot this issue, as we got a few customers playing around with Win8 and it might arise as an issue for them as well at some point. We need a reliable CISCO VPN solution across all OSes. Either that, or team up with MS and get their own built in client to work 100% with CISCO setup (which would be even better, tbh)...

Thank you for any replies.